Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #16
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you for sharing the photos.

Question:
- did you have SR ON,
- then wait 1-2 second for the SR (Hand) to come on in the viewfinder (when you half-pressed the button), and then
- took your shot ?

In the affirmative, the camera should be sent for repair.

While I do not have this problem, some pentaxians reported some blur when they took the photo (with SR on) too quickly and the SR (Hand) light was not yet On in the view finder.

The SR (Hand) light takes typically about 1-2 s to come on after you half-press the actuation button.

03-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #17

Yes the SR was on and I waited, then I tried it with two other lenses and got the same results. It seems to be a SR problem of sorts. I will check into sending it in as much as I hate to.
03-18-2010, 12:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

my K7 can do this too. thought it was fixed by the most recent firmware but I'm not so sure as I recently got some similar pics. Haven't investigated the circumstances yet (checked shutter speed, etc)
03-21-2010, 07:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Do you have automatic horizontal correction on? If you do, you should turn it off because it's only for tripod. When I had mine on and I shoot too fast, sometimes the sensor shakes after the shutter snaps, causing the next shot to be blurry. Found out later that you should only use it on a tripod...
Really? It's way less useful on a tripod, where you've presumably got the time to make sure things are level. The entire usefulness of the feature to me is that it allows me to worry about other aspects of composition and let the camera take care of that last 1° of off-kilter (which is quite hard for me to get right visually in the relatively-small viewfinder).

03-24-2010, 12:22 AM   #20
Forum Member

Which Lens are you using? If you are using the DA series, you should definitely not experience this problem.
If you are using an older M series which does not communicate with the the K7, you have to set the focal length for the shake reduction to work. If this setting is not OK then you can face problems.
I have not faced any problem like this on my K7 hand held or on a tripod with shake reduction active.
03-30-2010, 05:40 PM   #21
Inactive Account

What are you referring to when you use the term "automatic horizontal correction"? There is no such selection in the "lens correction" menu or in the "shake reduction" menu. There is a selection for "distortion dorrection" in the lens correction menu. Are you suggesting that "distortion correction" should not be used when "shake reduction" is turned on?

Mike
03-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #22
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike M. Quote
What are you referring to when you use the term "automatic horizontal correction"? There is no such selection in the "lens correction" menu or in the "shake reduction" menu. There is a selection for "distortion dorrection" in the lens correction menu. Are you suggesting that "distortion correction" should not be used when "shake reduction" is turned on?

Mike
its Automatic Horizon Correction, not horizontal and its in the main camera menu 3, right under 'Electronic Level'.

03-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I don't see automatic horizon correction as an option on any of the K-x menu screens. Nor do I see "electronic level."

Mike
03-30-2010, 06:31 PM   #24
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike M. Quote
I don't see automatic horizon correction as an option on any of the K-x menu screens. Nor do I see "electronic level."

Mike
we are talking about the K-7, not the K-x.
11-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I know this thread is old but I recently acquired a lightly used K7 and seem to be having a similar problem. I noticed a double image on about 10% of the photos I took at my sons sectional soccer game last night. These were taken hand held using a Vivitar 70-210 mm series 1 lens wide open at f3.5, with the K7 in aperture priority mode at 1600 ISO. This resulted in shutter speeds of 1/60 - 1/125 (slower than I would like but I was trying to keep the noise down). The EXIF data shows the shake reduction as ready and automatic horizon correction is off.

I had previously seem this effect to a lesser extent using a Pentax A 50 mm lens. I have included a 100% crop from one of those shots to show the double image (look closely at the rope an swing chain). In this case the shutter speed was 1/90 and the the shake reduction was again ready (shutter half pressed for several seconds before taking shot). Firmware version is 1.13, which I believe is the latest available for the K7. The double image looks like it can be in either the vertical or horizontal plane.

Based on my searches it looks like I may have a bad camera (way out of warranty now) but I wanted to see is anyone else had another idea? I have not seem this problem with my K100D Super or Kx. Thanks!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
11-05-2014, 09:27 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you have the other cameras you can try shooting the same subject, same settings, same or similar lenses. You'll have to shoot a lot of shots because handholding is not perfectly repeatable. A subject with some bright tiny lights or reflections will make it easier to analyze later. It's not too early to drag out a string of Christmas lights and shoot at wide angles.

I know there were several threads on the K-7 having an unusual problem with SR and certain shutter speeds. I read a lot of them. I don't think my K-7 has this problem.
11-05-2014, 01:20 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dave, thanks for responding. I will have to see if I can run some test shots this weekend. I must admit the shot of the swing set was taken while I was evaluating the camera. I was running the same 50 mm lens on the K7, the Kx and a K2000, mainly comparing the color balance of the different sensors (I still like the unprocessed JPEG from the CCD sensor).

I did not see any issues with the images from the other cameras but it was only a couple of shots. At the soccer game (longer focal length) the effect was far more pronounced (obvious double goal post in one case). Interestingly, the EXIF data for those shots lists the focal length as 204 mm, even though I manually entered 200 mm (the closest option available).
11-05-2014, 02:55 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Hi Reduno,

This is probably going to sound stupid, but perhaps you are gripping the camera too tightly and holding too rigidly. Try relaxing your grip and hold technique a bit when using SR. I've been shooting Pentax DSLRs with and without SR for ten years, and I still have to consciously use a more casual hold to get blur free shots handheld with SR. This is not to say that you should throw good handholding technique away completely, but each model has a sweet spot for SR, and it takes a bit of conscious experimentation to find out where it is. I'd suggest you add this consideration to your future testing and see if it makes a difference. I used to have concerns about every new body that I upgraded to the first time I shot it, especially when there was a significant increase of resolution in the sensor -- blurry shots when I looked at them on the computer. Now I just assume that it was probably due to the excitement of getting a new camera, and go out and shoot some more with a more relaxed technique.

Scott
11-05-2014, 03:04 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi Reduno,

This is probably going to sound stupid, but perhaps you are gripping the camera too tightly and holding too rigidly. Try relaxing your grip and hold technique a bit when using SR. I've been shooting Pentax DSLRs with and without SR for ten years, and I still have to consciously use a more casual hold to get blur free shots handheld with SR. This is not to say that you should throw good handholding technique away completely, but each model has a sweet spot for SR, and it takes a bit of conscious experimentation to find out where it is. I'd suggest you add this consideration to your future testing and see if it makes a difference. I used to have concerns about every new body that I upgraded to the first time I shot it, especially when there was a significant increase of resolution in the sensor -- blurry shots when I looked at them on the computer. Now I just assume that it was probably due to the excitement of getting a new camera, and go out and shoot some more with a more relaxed technique.

Scott
Thanks Snostorm, a very good point. The K7 is a bit larger than the Kx and certainly has a different feel. The soccer shots were also taken with the Vivitar 70-210 mm series 1 (Tokina version 2), which is heavier than the Tamron Adaptall 70-210 mm (46A) I am used to on the Kx. I was trying to use the extra half stop to compensate for the noise on the K7 (noticeably worse than Kx at high ISO). Thanks again.