Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2009, 02:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

K7 - Blurry Pictures caused by Shake Reduction

I just purchased the K7 two weeks ago. When the Shake Reduction feature is on, the pictures appear to have camera shake -- the pictures are unusable and blurry. I'm not using a tripod, I'm hand holding the camera. See my observations in the next paragraph.

----
I've been doing quite of bit of testing and found something interesting. When Camera Shake is on and coupled with fast shutter speed (a fast enough shutter speed where I don't need to use Shake Reduction) it ruins the pictures. I get the same picture quality as if I left the Shake Reduction on using a tripod. But when I turn Shake Reduction off with the same shutter shutter speed, the pictures come out great.

...but when I use Shake Reduction with a slow shutter speed it actually appears to work.
---

I suppose a simple answer will be to turn the Shake Reduction on/off when appropriate. A wedding for instance, were I'm outside one minute and the next minute I'm inside. To go through the menus to turn Shake Reduction off/on isn't the most ideal way to work. I also use a K200D, which I constantly have the Shake Reduction on (except for tripod use), and the pictures consistently come out "sharper" then my K7. Maybe I have to only use Shaken Reduction when appropriate.

I'll love to hear anybody's comments or solutions.

Thanks!

11-22-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know why this was posted to the articles section- thread moved.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can think of only 2 causes:
1. The camera is broken -> return it while you enjoy warrenty.
2. The camera / lens communication does not function properly. Check exif info if the focal length matches reality. If not, clean the contacts.
- Bert
11-22-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Hmm....I should do some tests sometime soon. I do know using shake reduction when using a tripod can reduce picture quality....I gues the same principal could hold true when hand holding at a faster shutter speed.

11-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The SR system has to reset/re-align after each photo, I believe. If you don't wait a little bit between focusing and shooting, SR might not have engaged (I think).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-22-2009, 03:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Right - you need to wait for the little hand icon to appear in the viewfinder. May or may not happen faster than the focusing.
03-16-2010, 05:35 PM   #7

I noticed the same thing on my K20 today. I know this is a fairly old post but did you ever find out what was wrong?
I was shooting flowers outside today 1/500 speed. The non SR pictures were fine but when i turned on SR they were very blurry. I checked the info on the review screen to make sure that the little green hand was on and it was. I thought perhaps i was shooting too fast for SR but that doesn't seem to be the case. I also checked with 3 different lenses and got the same results.
Anyway i was just wondering if you,or anyone else for that matter,found out anything.
03-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There's no such thing as "shooting too fast for SR". SR does not lose effectiveness as you increase shutter speed. There's some theories that SR might be affecting the K-x picture quality at around 1/180 (but not fast or slower), but that remains unproven and does not apply to the K-7 or K20D.

Did you try upgrading to the latest firmware version?

03-16-2010, 05:52 PM   #9

I'm at version 1.03.00.09, is there something newer? I've had the camera for about 3 months and have 4600 shutter count. I bought it used in excellent condition.
Normally I leave SR on but turned it off today just to see how that affected the pictures.
I just double checked my shutter speed, they were 1/1500.
thanks for the quick reply.
03-16-2010, 05:53 PM   #10

By shooting too fast i meant pulling the trigger before SR (the green hand) came on.
03-16-2010, 05:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thumbster21 Quote
I'm at version 1.03.00.09, is there something newer? I've had the camera for about 3 months and have 4600 shutter count. I bought it used in excellent condition.
Normally I leave SR on but turned it off today just to see how that affected the pictures.
I just double checked my shutter speed, they were 1/1500.
thanks for the quick reply.
That's the latest firmware as far as I know. From the Pentax web site:

Version 1.03
* Improved SR (Shake Reduction) accuracy.

I'm not aware of this being a frequent problem.

QuoteOriginally posted by Thumbster21 Quote
By shooting too fast i meant pulling the trigger before SR (the green hand) came on.
Oh that... all shake reduction systems need about a half-second to calibrate for each shot. This includes Canon's IS system, Nikon's VR system, Sigma's OS system and many others. You just need to get used to waiting that half second once focus is achieved.
03-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #12

That's what i was checking. I had thought that I was not waiting long enough for SR to kick in. Just checked it again but that is not the case. Thanks again
03-16-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Do you have automatic horizontal correction on? If you do, you should turn it off because it's only for tripod. When I had mine on and I shoot too fast, sometimes the sensor shakes after the shutter snaps, causing the next shot to be blurry. Found out later that you should only use it on a tripod...
03-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #14

No horizontal correction as far as i know (never had it on before and not sure where it is located in the menu). It seems as if when SR is on it makes the shutter fire slower. It sounds that way anyhow.
The pictures i took today were hand held.
03-16-2010, 06:33 PM   #15

Here is a good cropped example at 1/125, 55mm, f/6.7, ISO 200 with no SR ( if i can load this right)
Name:  IMGP3569 copy.jpg
Views: 1089
Size:  78.7 KB

And here is the same settings with SR on
Name:  IMGP3570 copy.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  65.8 KB