Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 02:02 PM   #1

dust problem?

I've only had my KX for a few days now. I'm brand new to photography and i thought i've done a good good changing lenses quickly and safely, but i apparently still managed to get some dust somewhere inside. I've done the dust mapping and removal thing but i still have a small dark spot showing up in the same spot in all of my pics. What can i do to remedy this?

11-22-2009, 03:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Google "rocket blower". That will turn up lots of references to the most common solution, as well as references to the other methods that some prefer.
11-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust inevitably enters the camera. Usually it will go away with a decent blow of the sensor and a few passes of the dust removal mechanism. Not sure about the K-x, but the K20D and above models have very effective in-camera dust removal functions. I've never had to dry/wet clean my K20D or even K10D sensors to date, whereas I did for my old K100D and *ist D.
11-22-2009, 05:00 PM   #4

Original Poster
the weird thing is it's there with both of my lenses but depending on what i'm focusing on, the dot is also either in or out of focus as well. Does this make sense?

11-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by iggy373 Quote
the weird thing is it's there with both of my lenses but depending on what i'm focusing on, the dot is also either in or out of focus as well. Does this make sense?
Ai, shit happens....

The visibility of dust particles on the sensor is influenced by the aperture of the lens, not focus. In case you use a small aperture (high f number), it becomes much more visible. An open aperture (small f number) will fade the specs.
If a rocket blower does not help, you can go to a camera shop.
Here in my town cleaning will cost you 20.

One of the mistakes I've made once, was buying a cheap chinese rocket blower that removed the dust while at the same time it sprayed sticky rubber particles on the sensor.
That could only be removed with wet swipes.
I felt a little nerveuos the first time doing a wet swipe. Actually it is a simple task.
Make sure to blow your sensor in case of swiping. You do not want to scratch the sensor surface swiping sand over it.

- Bert
11-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
what size rocket blower would you suggest? There seem to be several choices and not much info as to which size is better for working with SLRs.
11-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Best IMO is one with a rear filter to stop it from blowing dusty air right onto the sensor.
Like the Giottos rocket blower - large is best:

11-27-2009, 01:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks! just ordered one! Any tips/tricks on using it?

11-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Yes : Just dont let it touch the sensor. Otherwise no problems blow to your hearts content. I find the Giotto blowers very effective.
11-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #10

Original Poster
THANKS!!!!! the spot is gone! Stupidly i didn't realize at first that i had to go into the menu and use the sensor clean function to move the mirror, once i figured that out it took all of 15 seconds.
12-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
I have a K-x too and the dots are still there! I used a hair blower though, but it's not enough, I'm going to try the rocket blower and see what happens!
12-02-2009, 08:37 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hectorse Quote
I have a K-x too and the dots are still there! I used a hair blower though, but it's not enough, I'm going to try the rocket blower and see what happens!
Welcome to the forums hectorse!
If the rocket blower doesn't work then this might (Dust Aid).
It is kinda expensive though and would depend on how steady your hands are and if you are brave enough to do it: Dust-Aid DSLR CAMERA Sensor CLEANER Platinum DA02 NEW - eBay (item 300364460900 end time Dec-06-09 07:32:03 PST)