Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 03:36 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New at Pentax

Hi I had Olympus for 3years and sold everything lately. I think Pentax is my next move: should I buy a K-7 or a k-x? I do photography since 15 years now. anyone could help me. It seems that the new k-x is a good buy? thank you
romides

11-22-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums romides!
It would all depend on what you would need it for.
If you like shooting around in the rain or jungles or the antarctic, then get the weathersealed K7.
If you are just the occasional shooter or hobbyist, then get the K-x, you would love its low light performace!
11-22-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome romides.
You won't go wrong with either.
Gerry's said it - the biggest benefit with the more expensive K-7 is its weather sealing, metallic construction, better controls for faster setting changes and more professional functionality.

Having said that, the K-x excels in low-light performance, size and weight burden as well as usage of AA batteries (if that's a big deal to you).

All the best in your decision.
11-23-2009, 08:52 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I haven't looked at the specs on te K-x, so I don't know whether it allows focus adjustment for individual lenses, but I would caution against ANY camera that does not have that function.

11-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I haven't looked at the specs on te K-x, so I don't know whether it allows focus adjustment for individual lenses, but I would caution against ANY camera that does not have that function.
It doesn't, but there have been many reports of K20D users going to K-x, and all their lenses with different + and - focus adjusments are spot on with the K-x.

Not sure why, but there are quite a few of them. Well, there are also reports that it uses a different autofocus algorithm than the K20D and maybe the K-7:

http://forums.dpreview.com/...forums/read.asp?forum=1036&message=33698166
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/814875-post5.html
11-23-2009, 10:17 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Everything is a guess without knowing what you like to shoot and the conditions you shoot in. What's important to you?

Welcome to the forums.
12-01-2009, 06:47 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
My last camera was a Pentax programA 35-70 primary lense and a Tokina 80-200
I looked at mainly Nikon d5000 and d90 models until i found a web site where i could do direct review of spec side by side comparison the Pentax won out all round plus I I can now utilize my lenses from th a model . The money i have saved on buying the Kx I have now invested in a Pentax 70-300 lens bought from the for sale forum.
My main interest is indoor sports photography Judo the Kx should do this job well.
Cheers Mark
12-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wedgetail Quote
My last camera was a Pentax programA 35-70 primary lense and a Tokina 80-200
I looked at mainly Nikon d5000 and d90 models until i found a web site where i could do direct review of spec side by side comparison the Pentax won out all round plus I I can now utilize my lenses from th a model . The money i have saved on buying the Kx I have now invested in a Pentax 70-300 lens bought from the for sale forum.
My main interest is indoor sports photography Judo the Kx should do this job well.
Cheers Mark
With the K-x you won't need fast lenses so much though it would help.
Fast lenses are costly most of the time although you might find some bargains with the old manual type lenses.
These would encumber you though as you would need to stop down every now and then to get the proper exposure metering.
With the K-x and its low light ability..most lenses would suffice..plus you get fast AF too and the frame burst you might need to capture multiple images (sports).
If using flash however, the recycle time might not keep up with the burst shooting.
In any case, all the best and good luck on your endeavor.

P.S.: on the recent Popular Photography, K-x was on the front pages although Nikon got part of the cover page announcing it broke the ISO 10,000 barrier!
Nikon was hyping on this when it fact K-x (on the pages before Nikon) already said that it was capable of ISO 12,800...same as the pricier (more professional oriented) new Nikon!

12-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think you missed a 0 - it was the 100,000 barrier, not 10,000 barrier, that Nikon broke.

I haven't been following Pop Photo, but did pick up a copy to read on the plane last week, and was pleased to see a full back cover ad for the K-x, and another full page Pentax ad inside.
12-01-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I think you missed a 0 - it was the 100,000 barrier, not 10,000 barrier, that Nikon broke.

I haven't been following Pop Photo, but did pick up a copy to read on the plane last week, and was pleased to see a full back cover ad for the K-x, and another full page Pentax ad inside.
Hmm..I have to take a look again 'coz it seemed like it only had the same ISO as K-x.