Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #1

decisions ....

I'm about to leap into the DSLR realm and have been eyeing the K200D. But it seems time is short as the stock of this item seems to be low now that the K-x line is coming out. It looks like I better buy quick while I can.

So, the question is, do I go with the K-x or the K200d (which I thought would be a good fit for me, novice user who wants a user friendly camera he won't grow out of too quickly). I like the idea of weather resistance , though I hope not too be shooting in the rain. So I see the issue of the cmos vs. ccd sensor but can somebody point out some of the other (practical) differences.

I am a beginner and obviously need to learn quite a bit yet so any advice is appreciated.

11-22-2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe the CMOS disadvantages look to be sorted out with the K-x.
It's a fine sensor that performs excellently both in high-ISO and long exposure situations.
I would say the K-x is a better buy overall, but weather sealing is a good bonus to have in the K200D in case this is ever an issue.
No other major practical differences that I can see - just a matter of personal preferences.
11-22-2009, 07:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by chip1257 Quote
I'm about to leap into the DSLR realm and have been eyeing the K200D. But it seems time is short as the stock of this item seems to be low now that the K-x line is coming out. It looks like I better buy quick while I can.

So, the question is, do I go with the K-x or the K200d (which I thought would be a good fit for me, novice user who wants a user friendly camera he won't grow out of too quickly). I like the idea of weather resistance , though I hope not too be shooting in the rain. So I see the issue of the cmos vs. ccd sensor but can somebody point out some of the other (practical) differences.

I am a beginner and obviously need to learn quite a bit yet so any advice is appreciated.
Both are fine cameras.

The K-x has the advantage of 20% more megapickles/higher resolution than the K200D and has a great sensor able to deliver good IQ under almost all light conditions. Plus it has video, LiveView, lens/CA correction in-camera, faster fps, faster shutter, a better AF etc.

The K200D has the advantage of weather sealing, visible AF points, larger size if that fits your hands better, and an optional battery grip. However the weather sealing only makes sense if you match up the weather sealed body with a weather sealed lens, which can be an extra expense. The K200D is also now discontinued, which maybe a plus since the price should be dropping a lot.

Both also come with very good (essentially the same, in fact) kit lenses, so the standard kit lens isn't a factor in choosing between them..

In short, you won't go wrong with either, I think. But as long as you manage to keep it out of the rain and surf, the K-x would probably be the most capable camera out of the two.
11-23-2009, 03:24 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks to both of you.

Th price so far, even with all the pre-thanksgiving sales are actually pretty close but I'm really focusing on the product. I suppose I'm not only focusing on fuctionality but ease of use and learnability as well.

11-23-2009, 05:17 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I would go with the Kx. The K200 was a good camera at the time, but its performance has been eclipsed by the Kx. Except for the things mentioned above, visible auto focus points and weather sealing, the K200 loses in nearly any way you compare the two. If you really want weather sealing, I would compare a K20 rather than a K200. The K20 will still lose in high iso shooting and autofocus, but the overall package is really nice and user friendly.
11-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A lot depends on your budget. A K200D is much cheaper than a K-X. If you can spare the extra $200, then get the K-x. I have a K200D and I like it. You will not go wrong either one.
I went on vacation this month. When I was in Costa Rica, it rained hard. I went out with my K200 and took pictures anyway. I just draped a wash cloth over my 18-250mm lens, worked fine, no problems with either the lens or body. BTW there is a WR 18-55mm on ebay for $119 "buy it now".
GP
11-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The K-x has the advantage of 20% more megapickles/higher resolution than the K200D
For as much difference as that 20% makes, they might as well be pickles! :-)

As a K200D owner, the advantages the K-x has do appeal to me, and most of the (slight) disadvantages of the K-x that have been stated wouldn't really bother me. As someone who uses manual lenses a lot, I might need to play with a K-x some to see if I could used to the slightly different way it works with them (in terms of which buttons you need to push to meter, and more importantly, when the mirror flips). For me, that would be the biggest issue (not that I'm looking to replace my K200D). I'd be disappointed to give up the weather sealing, but I wouldn't really care one way or another about the grip, top LCD, lighted AF points, etc, and gaining video and an extra stop of high ISO performance would be welcome. I think you'd have to *really* plan on using the camera in the rain a lot for the K200D to come out ahead.
11-24-2009, 09:31 PM   #8
Forum Member

I decided not to wait for the K-x and got a refurb K200D from Bestbuy.com a couple of months ago. They still have them, $380 body only, one year warranty. Excellent choice, no regrets. (I also ordered a K20D refurb and returned it immediately when I saw how large and heavy it was.)

K-x is tiny and does have some enticing features, plus there is the way cool Star Wars version. Still north of $600 with kit lens though.

My next Pentax body will be a K-7 Super with the K-x sensor.

11-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #9

Unless you can get the K200D for a *lot* cheaper, there doesn't really seem to be a compelling reason not to get the K-x.

The main disadvantages are the lack of weather sealing and no AF indicators. One thing to remember with weather sealing, though, is that lens needs to be sealed too. The lack of AF indicators is a bit annoying, but it isn't a huge deal if you use the center AF point and recompose. The smaller body size can either be a pro or a con, depending on personal preference. Now if you were looking at a K10D or a K20D for a K-x price, it would be harder to call. Once you've gotten used to a pentaprism, dual e-dial camera with lots of on-body controls, it's very hard to go back to an entry level model. But, the K200D and K-x are more or less on the same page handling wise.

The K200D was more or less a combination of the K10D's sensor with the K100D's guts. Its ISO performance is slightly worse than the K100D due to the extra megapixels, where as the frame rate is lower than the K10D due to the smaller body. So with the K-x you're looking the better part of 3 years worth of technological improvement. Nearly every functional aspect of the K-x is better than the K200D.
  • Improved Savox VIII+ Autofocus
  • Vastly improved white balance
  • Improved metering
  • Larger EV compensation range
  • Higher resolution
  • Faster continuous drive FPS
  • Live View
  • Video
  • ISO performance is at least 1 stop better
  • Max ISO of 12800 vs 1600
  • Higher max shutter speed

Edit: I forgot about the K-x lacking the top LCD. If you're used to P&S cameras, then it won't be much of a change--your exposure settings will be displayed on the rear LCD. Granted this reduces battery life a little, and is annoying if you were used to having a top LCD, but as someone new to the dSLR game it shouldn't be a huge inconvenience.
11-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I have the K100DS and am liking the High ISO performance a lot!
I won't trade it for anything else.
Now that the K-x seems to produce a better result with better high ISO performance, I would go with the K-x.
Nothing beats having any lens and being able to get photos even without too much available light where only fast lenses would do.
Why get fast lenses if you can manage with the K-x and not be tied down to the high price of fast lenses or primes for that matter.
You can use a zoom with a slow f-stop and you would still be able to take photos!
Now try to beat that with everyone trying to look for (bargain) and buy fast lenses while you (having the K-x) won't even bother with all the hullabaloo about getting the nifty 50 (f1.2, f1.4, or f1.7) for $500-$350-$100! Ridiculous!