Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 08:57 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I still prefer B+W or Marumi DHG super, they score high (BH I think lost points for not filtering UV but who cares on digital), but the main thing is they are much easier to clean for me than Hoya filters..

11-24-2009, 09:17 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentastic Quote
So far I have been on the side of putting a protective UV or Skylight filter on my lenses. More and more I read I might actually be degrading photo quality. So where do people stand on protective filters? Am I paranoid or am I doing the right things?
Everytime I drop a lens I make sure I have a filter on it, besides that I don't bother
11-24-2009, 11:00 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Over the years I have had a few filters develop wear marks that could not be cleaned off. Sometimes I don't know what caused the marks, other times I do - such as when an ostrich pecked my lens and left a mark on the filter.

Touch wood, thanks to protective filters, all my lenses have always remained flawless.

And while I know that a small mark on the lens doesn't really affect IQ, I think we all agree that it does affect resale value.

A good filter, like a Hoya Super HMC will make no discernable difference to IQ in most situations.
11-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #19

I usually have a circular polarizer on. I only take it off when indoors and/or when light level is challenging. Then it goes right back on. That's my lens protection, whatever it may be .. I hope I don't have to find out.

11-25-2009, 02:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only time I use one for protection is when I know I'll be near sand, salt water, or mud.
11-25-2009, 03:50 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
Only time I use one for protection is when I know I'll be near sand, salt water, or mud.
Same here. I can't see carefully selecting & purchasing a particular lens for it's IQ, & then placing another lens surface in front of it. It aesthetically bothers me, and seems unnecessary in most cases with today's PP options, except for lens protection in extreme situations. I'm in the habit of always placing my cap over the lens when not shooting.
11-25-2009, 08:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Some filters you will need or have to keep on as it is part of the design (from what I have read), like in the 500mm mirror lenses.
It adds to the refraction of the filter glass and makes for a sharp image as against to not using one.

11-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #23

I use it purely because I feel somewhat safer with it....personal preference as many have added.
12-05-2009, 03:01 AM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Depends on where and under what circumstances you are shooting. Shooting from the sidelines of a football game in nice weather... no protective filters needed. Shooting from the same sideline when it is mucky or dusty and you want the protection.
Mike
I've taken a lot of football sidelines shots this year. I tuck my camera in my coat when its raining, bur like to have the UV filter on so I can wipe off rain or mud with little fear of damaging the lens.
12-06-2009, 07:50 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I leave all my lenses NAKED

Protective filters are unnecessary, in my opinion - but then again I don't own any lenses costing more than $200...

Good luck!
Craig
12-06-2009, 08:00 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like to use B+W 010 (UV) filters to protect my lenses.
In my experience Hoya HMC filters are difficult to clean.

Chris
12-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
I leave all my lenses NAKED
BLUSH!!!
QuoteQuote:
Protective filters are unnecessary, in my opinion - but then again I don't own any lenses costing more than $200...
My lenses are also naked, and every one of them cost me more than $200.
QuoteQuote:
Good luck!
Craig