Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Camera set up using onboard flash

I'm new to DSLR having just purchased a K7. I'm having trouble getting good exposure in other than green mode when using the onboard flash. Most pics are underexposed. Can someone set me on the right track for setting up the camera in Aperature priority (other than trial and error), as i thought the camera should take care of sensitivity and shutter speed?

11-24-2009, 02:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post some pictures and we can have a better idea of what is happening.

There are many situations where there are limitations of the onboard flash. It works by gauging the exposure of an object in the frame, often times because it is direct flash, the object or something in the foreground will appear brightish and the rest underexposed.

One guideline is to put it on Tv mode so you can directly change the role of ambient light.

To get around pop-up limitations, you can emulate a better flash by diffusing or bouncing with DIY solutions:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/786...-up-flash.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/do-yourself/51061-diy-diffuser-solution-pop-up-flash.html
11-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day mate. Welcome to the forum.
Another Qlder, eh? Join the club!

The K-7's a fine camera, but the pop-up flash does have its limitations.
It's not very powerful, and so in any mode if the scene needs a lot of light at the settings provided, then it will struggle to give you adequate exposure.

Definitely, photo examples will help to give more specific advice so you'd do well to post some.
All the best.
11-27-2009, 08:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I'll post some examples soon since i've deleted all the first attempts.
Cheers
Gerry

12-02-2009, 03:37 PM   #5

Original Poster
Now that i've followed many of the similar threads.Done some more reading etc. I can see that the main problem i've been having is trying to get too much distance from the on board flash as well as all the issuses of bright reflections.It does seem that there will always be some trial and error involved to set the exposure up for flash.Presonally i'd like to be able to predict what will happen instead of firing off test shots as subjects are rarely that patient. Hopefully that will come with experience. Before anything else i'll have to purchase a flash unit then i'll try again.
Cheers all and thanks for the leads!
12-02-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

It's all abouot knowing the limitations of the gear you have. And the on-board flash is very limited in its use. For that reason, an external flash gun just transforms your ability to capture better flash-illuminated images for more reasons than one.