Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photo sharing website recommendation

Up to now, I've never needed to share photos beyond what I could do by handing someone a CD. However, I'm now taking photos for my daughter's high school swim team, and many of the parents want to be able to see them.

I'd like to use a service that is inexpensive, allows people to download hi-res copies or print them, and can be password protected by folder so not just anyone can see the photos. It would also be nice to use it as another backup option for my photos now that I'm amassing quite a large collection of DVD's and portable hard drives .

I'm looking into fotki, photobucket, and myphotoalbum. What would you recommend for an amateur?

11-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hi... i've been using flickr.com, which is a yahoo based program... not bad, easy to use... although there is a small annual fee for storage...Flickr: Tour
all the best !! dave m
11-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Try Zenfolio (see sig), ifind flickr super irritating to use, it's like a labryinth.
11-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Flickr for this type of thing. I have seen worse interfaces. It works better when you download the Flickr Uploader, but not much. It is cheap and effective, which is all I want.

11-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Picasaweb is a good service, too.
11-25-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I've been using Webshots for several years. I originally had their free account which was sort of limiting as to the size of albums and total storage limits. For the last few years, I've been a paying "premium" member (29.95/year I think) which allows a lot more freedom. You have to make others a "friend" before they can download your pictures (some copywright protection there) and you can either make an album public for anyone to see or keep it private where others must be invited to see your pictures.

I'm satisfied with it.

Brian
11-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I use pbase, but the interface is a kludge. The price is right and the tools you want are there, but you's have a significant learning curve.

I understand smugmug is the cadillac photo hosting site, with price/service plans suitable for all types of users.

Here is a thread where I asked this question a couple years ago - still good info!
11-25-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use flickr also but if you want something a little different with a rockin' interface, check out fotologue.jp. Yes it's Japanese but you can change the language to English.

11-25-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. There are a lot to choose from.

So does anyone use fotki?
11-27-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I use picasa for a similar reason. I post all my photos of my daughters college rowing team online so the kids and parents can see them. I also shoot a lot of freeskiing and snowboard competitions which my other daughter is competing in. It's free and you have the choice of public viewing or you can keep them private so only those with a password can view them. I don't upload hi-res copys but send them to individuals who request them. I keep mine public.
11-30-2009, 12:19 AM   #11

Can I recommend Smugmug? I use them for storing my pictures - brilliant interface, and nice fast site - plus they have very flexible security settings, including password controlled galleries.

They are paid for, but you get what you pay for - there are no adverts, and you know the business is actually profitable and likely to be here in a few years time!

11-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #12
klh
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. I decided to go with fotki simply based on price. I got three years for $45. I like smugmug's interface better, but at $40 per year, I couldn't justify it at this time.

Update August 2012:

Based on my experience, I would not recommend Fotki.

I will no longer be using Fotki for storing and sharing myphotos. I joined Fotki for the purposeof sharing my original photos with friends and family as well as having areliable online backup for my important photo files. Unfortunately, Fotki has chosen to eliminateboth of these services from my prepaid membership.

I purchased a Premium Gold membership in November 2009, and amnow prepaid through December 2015. Thismembership benefits included "safely back-up, store and share the joy ofyour photos and videos" and "conveniently and securely storeunlimited number of photos at the highest resolution". Without any prior notice, Fotki suspended access to originalfiles and demanded additional payments from their customers for continued storageand access to original files.

It is true that "FOTKI, INC. reserves the right tomodify any part of this Agreement at any time in its sole discretion" (perthe user agreement). However, I reservethe right to take my business elsewhere.

Last edited by klh; 08-07-2012 at 03:56 PM.
12-01-2009, 09:32 AM   #13

As a noob I tried to start my own thread about Flickr vs. Picasa, but I probably should've just posted in this thread.

I've dabbled with Adobe Lightroom, but decided to stick with Picasa's all-in-one solution. I use it to download, store and catalog my photos and upload to my Picasa Web Albums.

I also have a basic Flickr account, but the content is mostly duplicated and I have limited upload bandwidth per month.

Can someone give me some reasons as to why I should shell out for a pro Flickr and make that my primary web photo site instead of the free Picasa, especially I already use its desktop application?