Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 04:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
web design photo album creator

Has any one any recommendation for software that will assist with the creation of your own photo album page?
I am not talking about 3rd party web sites like Flikr - zenfolio etc but software that allows you to :-
a] build album pages with thumb nail view and large image view
b] shows exif data so you don't have to add it to every photo as a title
c] allows down loads only to those with permission
to add to your own website.
I have found and tried web picture creator [ very basic] not enough features
and webeasy photo gallery which also works but you have to tell every photo individually to shop exif data which is also a time waster. it does upload whole directories containing image files which is great but not great.
any suggestions any one?
Alistair

11-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think you're seeing why sites like Zenfolio et al are so popular - doing it yourself can be a PITA. Note for the right price, you can get some of these to host your own domain name and not display their own logos at all.
11-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #3

jalbum allows you to create your album using dozens of professional looking skins and transfer it all to your domain via ftp
11-29-2009, 03:12 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by giorgio Quote
jalbum allows you to create your album using dozens of professional looking skins and transfer it all to your domain via ftp
thank you , jalbum fits the bill nicely
Alistair

11-29-2009, 03:52 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've recently switched to PHP Album (available at phpAlbum | PHP Photo Album - Gallery) as Photoshop galleries and custom layouts got old quickly. With some modification, it's a very nice program that pretty much only requires you to upload your photos (resized) via FTP to a folder that you create on-the-fly.

Example: Mosphotos.com Gallery

EXIF is shown beneath each photo. You can force people to register to be able to download photos, but I've disabled that feature completely and only have the branded version available.

My installation doesn't use a main 'homepage', as I have a page of my own from which I link the galleries. However, indexing and albums is a standard feature of this program.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-02-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I use Gallery2 on two of my websites and it appears to be similar to PHPAlbum.

It hooks right into Lightroom which is nice too.
12-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I absolutely love jalbum with fotoviewer 4.2 as a skin. Extremely versatile, free, and delivers a beautiful result. The only thing to remember is in the "image" tab, remember to turn sharpness all the way down and quality all the way up. I like to keep my images as I made them and have left other hosting services because they thought they knew what was best for my photos.
12-06-2009, 10:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I use Jalbum and modified one of the the skins to suit my needs which is easy enough to do. You just swap the navigation button images for your preferred ones and add some extra script to the .css file for integrating things like heading and wallpaper.

12-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also Coppermine.
12-09-2009, 09:18 AM   #10

Another good one is gallery server pro. Supports watermarking, security etc.
Open Source Web Gallery For Photos, Video, Audio, and Documents - Gallery Server Pro