Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 06:58 PM   #1

Exposure Time

Hey guys,
I was wondering if there is any way to program my k20 to shoot a 2 min. or longer exposure? I'm pretty sure there is way, as I have heard people doing 1-2 hour exposures, but I can't seem to figure out how. Thanks in advance.

11-27-2009, 07:31 PM   #2

You must use the "Bulb" mode for exposure times greater than 30 seconds. You can't "program" an exposure time in this mode. The shutter remains open for as long as the shutter release button is depressed. Or, you can use a remote with a locking button.
11-28-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Set the camera to B for bulb mode and you pretty much have to use a stopwatch as a reference for longer exposures. Mind you if you're going that long you're probably set to a low ISO and the difference of a few seconds or even minutes when you get into hour long exposures is not a huge difference.

Bear in mind though that the K20 defaults to a frame subtraction which means the camera will be occupied taking a second black frame of equal length. So a 1 hr exposure means the camera won't be available for a second frame until 2 hrs later. A few people have gotten around this by taking multiple 29 sec frames and then stacking them in photoshop. Just something to keep in mind.
11-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get a cable release that has a lock down shutter release feature.
Then with stopwatch/alarm (or just plain old watch) in hand, lock the shutter open in Bulb mode and wait...

11-28-2009, 02:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ok, I'll look into a remote with a lock feature. Thanks for the info guys.
11-29-2009, 01:31 PM   #7

Original Poster

Awesome! Thanks for the info.