Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2009, 02:50 AM - 1 Like   #1

Please explain a use case of sensitivity priority

Hello,
could someone explain a use case of using the sensitivity priority mode (Sv)? The brochure says that this enables creativity.
Please help me be creative!
Cheers,
Lionel

11-28-2009, 09:39 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I haven't figured this one out yet either.
It enables you to use a fixed shutter speed and aperture under varying light conditions, so I suppose if you were shooting from more or less the same position but shooting a variety of images where you don't want your exposure settings to change, then it might come in useful.
I just haven't figured out what the heck would be so critical that you couldn't alter your shutter speed and aperture for that would make up for the tremenous difference in look that you get from having your ISO bouncing around.
For myself, I think it's a feature that was put onto the cameras so that Pentax could say "look what we have that no one else has".
11-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sv is pretty rad. ISO on the rear e-dial and P-shift on the front e-dial.

So let's say you're shooting an engagement session at sunset and you want to keep a small depth of field.

Every 15 or 20 minutes you are going to have lost a lot of light, so bump up the iso and make sure your program is fast shutter or wide aperture or whatever you want, and continue shooting.

im going to guess this mode is best with p-ttl flash...

have fun.

and dont forget to try ouut TAv mode. It's just like Sv but reversed...
11-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me it's a P mode with ISO set by the user.
I don't use it because I set my ISO on all my modes anyway.

11-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I've been learning about and playing with sensitivity priority also. It brings the ISO setting directly to the e-dial on my K200D, which can be helpful in challenging lighting conditions (very dim or very bright). It allows the user to specify a tradeoff between image quality and noise to get the desired exposure. Pretty cool if you ask me.
11-29-2009, 01:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Like others have said, I also use SV mode with the ISO on the front dial, and program shift on the rear.

With the K10D it allows me to see aperture, shutter, and ISO all at the same time in the view finder.

The other modes (AV & TV) show shots remaining. I wish ther was a way to set the camera to always show ISO without having to push the OK button. If anyone knows, please let me know!
11-29-2009, 05:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I live in a tropical region where the rugby league is played late in the evening due to the heat. The playing field is illuminated by floodlights but not very well and quite patchy. In order to get the players illuminated sufficiently and get the shutter speed high enough to freeze the motion I use the Sv mode as the runners play in and out of the varying illuminated areas. I would love to be able to not vary the ISO but to get the shots that is the trade off. I don't have time to make the variations to the settiings manually.
11-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you

Thank you all for your answers. They describe various concreate usage scenario. This is cool!

11-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
The other modes (AV & TV) show shots remaining. I wish ther was a way to set the camera to always show ISO without having to push the OK button. If anyone knows, please let me know!
On the K10D, K20D & K-7, simply assign ISO control to an e-dial (I use the front one in Av), and it will be displayed at all times in the VF. And you can adjust ISO without pressing any button.
11-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
On the K10D, K20D & K-7, simply assign ISO control to an e-dial (I use the front one in Av), and it will be displayed at all times in the VF. And you can adjust ISO without pressing any button.

Thanks! Thats exactly what I needed to know!