Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pls help on focusing for a self portrait

How do you focus for a self portrait using the remote?
I tried manual focus but bit blurry. i tried also auto but still not in focus

11-29-2009, 11:38 AM   #2
pbo
Veteran Member

Do you have face recognition on the camera? That worked for me at least
Or stop down a bit and depend on depth of field.
11-29-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easiest way for me is to find a large enough object to place at precisely where you'll be standing for the portrait, locking focus on that, go manual and shoot away with a small-ish aperture.
11-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A good technique I recently saw on the strobist forums (aka flickr) was to turn the lights down low (since you will be lighting with a flash anyway) and use a small flashlight next to your eye. In the low light, the camera will quickly focus on the light. Then remove the flashlight and shoot.

11-29-2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There should be a setting in your menu to enable auto focus when using the remote. Works well on both of my cameras ( K10D, K110D )
11-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use several methods:

1. Pre-focus on an object that will be where I will be, then make sure to stand absolutely still until the shutter fires (I usually use the 3-second timer with the remote).

2. Change focus mode to "auto" - the camera will usually focus on the thing closest to it (only works if you are indeed closer to the camera than the background).

3. For really close-up shots, you can make sure there's a light source behind the camera. If the lens is focused correctly on your eye, you can actually see through the lens and into the sensor. If there's any dust on your sensor, you can see it perfectly focused when the camera is focused on you. (This really does work, but you might have to try it to see what I mean).
11-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Do you have face recognition on the camera? That worked for me at least
Or stop down a bit and depend on depth of field.
I dont know if a K200D has face recognition

11-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I think the most important thing to realize is that AF *should* work, but only within the limitations that AF always has - you can't tell the camera *exactly* where to focus. So it might well choose to focus on your nose instead of your eye, or clock on the wall behind you, or something on the table in front of you, etc. None of this has anything to do with using the remote, except that when *not* using the remote, it is possible to verify in the viewfinder that the focus point being used by the camera is at least close to the place you want the focus to be. When using the remote, you'll still want to select which focus point the camera uses, but you'll kind of need to guess at which one will end up closest to the place you want focus - and it is *still* possible, as *always*, that the camera might choose your eye instead of your nose.
12-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

One of the easiest is "use a stand-in"..then as PBO and Ash said, use a smallish aperture (this would not blur the background however, if you are going for that effect).