Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 12:09 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Which is the better replacement for the kit lens the Sigma 17-70 or DA 16-45mm? in terms of
Sharpness
Color/Contrast
Bokeh
Weight
Size
Overall IQ
I have been using a DA 16-45 for a few months and it is a pretty good step up from the kit lens. Even though I tend to use both lenses to take snapshot-like photos, the DA 16-45 photos have noticeably better IQ. It's a little bigger, longer, 67mm filter and 50% heavier. I like using this lens with a flash - the kit lens wasn't quite big enough so it always felt top-heavy.

Some cons: I've read that this lens can sometimes have purple fringing. I have seen examples but my photos don't show it yet. Sometimes 45mm isn't long enough. The new price for this lens would make me reconsider; mine was used and about half that.

When I got my camera in 2005, the DA 16-45 was just about the only choice for a kit lens upgrade. The Sigma was a very popular choice when it came out, especially for its long end. Today you should probably also consider other competitors, such as the Tamron 17-50 f2.8. I don't know how these lenses compare directly, but they sound good.

12-04-2009, 01:18 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Another reccomend for the 16-45. It may feel a bit clunky, but it is smaller and lighter than the DA*16-50 and will give it a run for it's money in IQ terms.
12-04-2009, 03:03 PM   #18
Site Supporter

You may also wish to consider the Tamron 18-200mm and its equivalents. It gives you a wide focal range and is great as a one-lens solution and for travelling. If you look carefully, you can find them for around $150.

AF18-200mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di-II LD Aspherical (IF) Macro; Tamron USA, Inc.
12-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I haven't read any opinion here as to which lens is better.
I have a K200 and I would get a Pentax 18-55 WR. I have the type II kit lens and it is quite good for the money. I don't know where you live, but here it snows in the winter. I would like to take advantage of my camera's weather sealing - so I need a WR lens. The WR kit lens was not available when I bought mine. If WR doesn't appeal to you, I would get the Sigma just based on the zoom range - 45mm is not long enough for me. That said, I don't own either lens.
GP

12-05-2009, 11:44 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is the Da 16-45 sharp in taking landscape shots? most of my shots are 18mm from the kit lens
12-05-2009, 11:51 AM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I believe this question's been answered in more ways than one, but once again for you:
The 16-45 is a sharp lens. Significantly sharper than the kit lens from f/4-f/8 - not much difference otherwise in terms of image quality.

Where the 16-45 may not perform all that well is at 16mm wide open (f/4). So at 16mm it's advised to stop down to at least f/5.6
12-05-2009, 08:55 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thx for the info ash!