Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2009, 10:19 PM   #1

Filters UV vs Haze 1

Im looking for a filter to stay on my lens 24-7 to protect it. I went to the camera shop and came back with a tiffen UV Haze 1 filter. Im not sure if I got the right one? I don't want to filter to limit the light getting in to my lens. Im just looking for a layer of protection. What is the difference between UV and UV HAZE 1?

12-01-2009, 12:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you browse / search for other discussions of UV filters, you'll see there is a very strong sentiment that *no* UV filter is worth using - they all degrade IQ to some extent, and provide minimal protection. There are also those who can't see the degradation and can't imagine being without whatever protection they do offer. Then there are those who can see the degradation with some filters but not others, and make specific recommendations for filters wih less (they are not the cheaper ones, of course). I've seen enough images ruined by filters to not use them myself, but am planning on getting one for use at the beach only.

Tiffen, at least, wants you to beleive the Haze 1 is the one to get for general photography - meaning it will degrade your image the least amount without spending a lot of money. See their web page (just google "tiffen uv haze filter") for a description.
12-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jonnyp Quote
Im looking for a filter to stay on my lens 24-7 to protect it. I went to the camera shop and came back with a tiffen UV Haze 1 filter. Im not sure if I got the right one? I don't want to filter to limit the light getting in to my lens. Im just looking for a layer of protection. What is the difference between UV and UV HAZE 1?
UV1 is CLEAR
"HAZE" may be another name for a UV filter.

Your best bet for protection is a filter that is multi-coated on all elements/sides. But, that will cost you..for 58mm and under..expect to spend $40-$60 Tiffen uses the HMC label for theirs. But, the MC filter will afford the best flare control..Make sure that the lens hood, if it connects using the filter threads, won't cut the corners off your image at the wide angle settings.