Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 09:20 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
using DCU

I've searched the forums and the Pentax USA website and can't find much on using the Pentax Digital Camera Utility.

I'm mostly interested in processing raw files from my K-x.

Any pointers to threads, articles would be welcome.

or possibly advice to use other software.

12-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What do you mean by pointers on how to use PDCU?
If you already installed the PDCU then it should come with the Pentax Photo laboratory which youwould use to process your RAW files.
Most of the members here seldom use the one that Pentax provides and use other softwares (some free) to process their RAW files.

You can start browsing here for softwares and discussions on it: Post Processing, Printing, Software, and Darkroom - PentaxForums.com
12-02-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Gerry - I've searched and browsed the PP forum, but I'll keep at it.

My Photoshop version is old and does not support my Kx, so I know I'll be getting something new and thought I would start by seeing what Pentax supplied software would do.

I found the Pentax Photo Laboratory feature in PDCU, but it is not the most intuitive beast. For example, it's not clear to me what the Laboratory and Custom tabs are for.

I was hoping that someone knew of an existing article or thread on an simple workflow using PDCU/PPL for raw files.
12-02-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Does the program have help menus? I've used the Pentax software a bit, but really didn't like it, or the output. Poke around and see what happens.

12-03-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bnorikane Quote
Thanks Gerry - I've searched and browsed the PP forum, but I'll keep at it.

My Photoshop version is old and does not support my Kx, so I know I'll be getting something new and thought I would start by seeing what Pentax supplied software would do.

I found the Pentax Photo Laboratory feature in PDCU, but it is not the most intuitive beast. For example, it's not clear to me what the Laboratory and Custom tabs are for.

I was hoping that someone knew of an existing article or thread on an simple workflow using PDCU/PPL for raw files.
I think they are not actually compatible since Adobe uses DNG and Pentax uses PEF (I think).
There is a thread that talks about how you should shoot/convert to DNG for it to work on Adobe.
I'll try to look for it since I seldom shoot RAW.
Here's one of the threads: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...ef-vs-dng.html
There should me more (threads) so you will understand more and know what to do or how to do it easiest when shooting RAW..plus how to use and open RAW with your existing Adobe.
Hope this helps!
01-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #6
Inactive Account

bnorikane, I think I'm a month or so behind you in the quest for information. Did you have any luck locating some additional info on the Digital Camera Utility? Trying to learn from the limited help menu is a time consuming effort. A howto article or tutorial would make things so much faster. Any info you've already located would be appreciated.
01-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nstocke Quote
bnorikane, I think I'm a month or so behind you in the quest for information. Did you have any luck locating some additional info on the Digital Camera Utility? Trying to learn from the limited help menu is a time consuming effort. A howto article or tutorial would make things so much faster. Any info you've already located would be appreciated.
I did not find anything except for the help files. I didn't find anything on using DCU on the Pentax US site or the Japanese site.

I stopped working on DCU, and downloaded the free LightRoom 3 beta. It's free until April. There are tons of tutorials for LR3. It does a good job on Kx raw files. I now save in DNG.