Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2009, 11:17 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
K-x hiking protection?

Hi! I am new to the forum and I have one quick question.

On Sunday, I am going to go hiking and I wanted to take my new K-x with me, but I am worried that, since it's not as well sealed as the K-7, it's could get dirt in it. What are some good protection practices that could work with the camera? Plastic bag around it? sealing the lens with tape? (I am taking only a prime lens with me, it's a pretty long hike and I don't want to get too encumbered)

Tips?

12-02-2009, 11:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Dust isn't too much of a problem as with rain.
You should worry more if you get rain since it would wreak havoc on your camera's electronics and get moisture in your lens.
All you would probably need is a small bag or camera holster to store the camera in while in transit.
One you shoot however, it would be no problem not unless you get yourself into a sandstorm or fall off a cliff (God forbid) and start rolling down the slope with soil and dust churning about.
In any case, you should only worry about dust when changing out lenses, which you won't do since you will only bring along 1 lens (already attached).
12-02-2009, 03:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As long as you don't drop in the mud or throw dirt at it, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. people have been hiking with camera for decades.
12-03-2009, 02:18 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum.
Just to be on the safe side, leave it in the box and see if you can borrow someone else's camera.

Seriously, it's a tool, read the manual so you have an idea how to use it properly and be sensible with it.
If you're worried about dust and sharp edges, put it in a sock or something like that and keep it in your
pocket for protection when not taking pictures.

12-03-2009, 08:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use a small shoulder bag with 2 compartment with seperate zippers.
Take a few small plastic bags for covering during very wet periods of the trip.
Get quality protective filters for your lenses (cheap ones generate flares). A scratch on your display is a pitty, a scratch on your lens is bad.

For the rest, do not worry too much. You should be fine.
12-03-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Just to be on the safe side, leave it in the box and see if you can borrow someone else's camera.
Or, do like some people do (like me) and get an older less-expensive model camera like the *ist or K100D as a 2nd camera for use in harsher environments. That way, if something should happen, you are not out many $$.

I use my newer expensive camera only in controlled environments, which usually excludes hikes, biking, and such.
12-04-2009, 08:20 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
If you're that worried, insure it.

12-04-2009, 09:08 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I understand your angst. Your camera is new and nobody wants to ruin or screw up their new stuff. As noted above, even without body seals, your camera is at least as dust resistant as traditional film SLRs and many of us have been carrying those cameras for years on trails all over the world under all kinds of conditions. Water is another matter due to the camera electronics. A drop of two of moisture on the outside will likely cause no harm if not allowed to seep in around buttons or body junctions. Even then, the camera is designed to isolate switches and connections from incidental intrusion. As for the lens...much depends on the design. Traditional prime lens construction provides very good resistance to both dust and moisture. I can't say whether that is true for newer AF designs. All-in-all your camera and lens are pretty robust and can take a fair amount of abuse short of being dropped.

A quality camera case is good insurance with a large zip lock bag for use if the weather gets extremely wet. So use reasonable care and carry protection and have fun with your toy!

Steve

(That last sentence reminds me of health class in high school...)