Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 12:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I accidentally found a way to check tripod/camera stability. I took a test shot with an airplane flying through the frame without using the 2 sec. MLU - no SR on my camera. The lights from the plane showed how much vibration there was in those 2 seconds.

The exposure meter is likely to get tricked at night, and exposure is likely to be a compromise of dynamic range. The meter will often choose a setting that keeps bright lights from blowing out (being completely white with no detail), but the rest of the image might be too dark. I take some quick test shots to get a good idea of exposure, maybe blowing out some lights to get better shadow detail. On my camera I can turn off the dark frame subtraction and speed this process up.

12-05-2009, 01:24 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Stablilization...

QuoteOriginally posted by maximm Quote
There was very light wind, somehwat grabbing the strap. Tripod was not in any way rock solid and probably twitching from the soft ground it was standing on. I used the two second release, pressing button and it takes the pictures 2 seconds after.

What's SR? Are you referring to the image stabilisation? That was on.

I'll have to try to get it more stable next time then.

Someone can certainty correct me... but I was under the impression that when using a tripod it is best to turn image the stabilization function OFF.
12-05-2009, 03:29 AM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Wormtown Quote
Someone can certainty correct me... but I was under the impression that when using a tripod it is best to turn image the stabilization function OFF.
Yes, it is.

Notice that he was using the 2 seconds timer, which, as someone already stated, automatically disables SR.
12-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my first posting here, I indicated that enabling the 2 second timer automatically disables (turns off) the SR (Shake Reduction) or image stabilization. However, I went on to say that you may want to turn it back on (in certain cases). For instance, in the case of wind induced vibration of the tripod, you may want to have SR active - so as to counter this. Also, with the plastic and aluminum tripods, they may help with the very large perturbations, but leave the small ones. So, possibly having the SR on may indeed help in some circumstances - only you can decide.

The reason I post this, was when I had my old tripod, I believe that leaving SR on was actually helping, however with my newer, stiffer tripod I turn it off. I came across this example, that did a test with positive results. You need to scroll down a bit to get to the stabilization test.

VELBON MAXi 343E Tripod - photo.net

To somewhat add to the discussion here, I had a somewhat similar problem. I was dealing with boats in a harbor (appeared to not be moving - water surface as smooth as glass - but they were), and an overfocusing problem (set the lens to infinity, but it was slightly beyond infinity - hence the DOF and hyperfocal focusing method).

Image Stabilization and Light Weight Tripods - Steve's Digicams Forums

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/general-photography-techniques-styles/653...otography.html