Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #1

2nd lens for a k-m (k2000)

Hello,

I have a K-m (also called a K2000 in some places apparently) and have 'grown out' of the stock 18-55mm lens that came with it. I need some suggestions for a suitable replacement/addition.
I am on a budget but one that is a little flexible if the cheaper options prove to be a false economy. This will be by 2nd ever lens on my first SLR although I have been using cameras (an old film Zenith and compact digitals) for a long time and am coming along fairly well with their use.
I think this new lens should be a telephoto covering a decent range but will probably be the only one I buy for a while. I have had the k-m for nearly a year now with just the standard lens.

I have read many reviews on individual products but reviews are very subjective when compared to what other people have in their camera bag.
So far, my thoughts are to get a fairly decent range, something like the Sigma 70 - 300mm telephoto zoom f-4-5,6 APO DG for £165. This would probably end up being the lens that I leave on the camera most of the time. Is 70mm wide enough most of the time? Is 300mm too much of a zoom for this quality of lens/camera combo? Can anyone suggest anything that will be more suitable for me?

I'm a bit of a newbie with all this, I hope someone has some ideas/experiences to pass on....
Thanks.

12-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rotorhead Quote
So far, my thoughts are to get a fairly decent range, something like the Sigma 70 - 300mm telephoto zoom f-4-5,6 APO DG for £165. This would probably end up being the lens that I leave on the camera most of the time. Is 70mm wide enough most of the time?
That depends. Your current lens is an 18-55. that means every picutre you've ever taken with it has been in that range - between 18mm and 55mm. Do you think you'd be a happy with a lens whose *widest* is nowhere near as wide as the *longest* end of your current lens? In other words, a lens that could not take even one of the pictures you've taken in the year you've had your camera?

I think the answer obvious - you'd use this lens *in addition* to your current lens, not instead of. Most people who have both would end up using the 18-55 probably 80% of the time.

QuoteQuote:
Is 300mm too much of a zoom for this quality of lens/camera combo?
Not at all, although whether you *need* that long or not is another matter. For wildlife, yes. Not for much else.

QuoteQuote:
Can anyone suggest anything that will be more suitable for me?
The standard choices are the pentax 18-250, the 50-200, the 55-300, and the Tamron 70-300. There have been dozens of threads comparing these over the years; I'd suggest browsing the forums for them.

Meanwhile, I'm moving this discussion to the beginner's forum.
12-03-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum rotorhead.
As Marc says, you do need to know what focal lengths you're after to shoot what you want as 70mm may be wide enough for some people, but definitely not for others. That's why people have more than one lens.

If you want a do-it-all lens, you probably can't do better than Pentax's 18-250, which doesn't do all that well at 250mm to be honest.

Depends what you want to get out of it.
I'd suggest keeping the kit, adding a Pentax 55-300 or Tamron 70-300 to it then deciding what you're after in a kit lens replacement: more range in the wide end? more speed/wider aperture? better quality images at large apertures? etc.