Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 12:17 PM   #1

K200D, Bulb mode and the remote

According to the K200D, a remote will keep the shutter open when using bulb mode for as long as you hold down the remote button. This isn't terribly convenient if I'm taking night-time shots as I'll always need to be in front of the sensor holding down the button. There doesn't appear to be any firmware updates for the K200D nor a setting that I adjust so that when I click the remote once it opens the shutter, and a second click of the remote will close it. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I can make the K200D work that way (one click open, one click close), or am I stuck with this? Thanks!

12-04-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, you'll need a remote or cable release with a timer on it.

On the plus side, you can use trap-AF to take pictures of say birds on a feeder with this while you can't with a K-x.
12-04-2009, 03:15 PM   #3

hi

you should look for something like this

eBay.be: Wireless Remote Control f Pentax K10D K200D K100D Canon (objet 130348344509 Fin: 29-déc.-09 21:50:27 CET)

this is how it works in bulb mode:

1. Switch the camera to Bulb mode.
2. Full Press for 3 seconds.
3. The receiver is in bulb mode now.
4. Press the button again to close the shutter.

i didn't try it yet but will buy it soon
12-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

or one of these:

Shutter Release

Just press the button and slide it to locking position then slide it back when your finished. I have taken tons of 7+ minute exposures with one of these.

12-07-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I have a wired cable as well with the 200d and it works awesome!.You can hold it or lock it in place to take the pic and release when you are down and it only cost $20 from Cameta camera!
12-07-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yep a cable remote is what you are after with the sliding lock
12-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CookieMonster Quote
According to the K200D, a remote will keep the shutter open when using bulb mode for as long as you hold down the remote button. This isn't terribly convenient if I'm taking night-time shots as I'll always need to be in front of the sensor holding down the button. There doesn't appear to be any firmware updates for the K200D nor a setting that I adjust so that when I click the remote once it opens the shutter, and a second click of the remote will close it. Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I can make the K200D work that way (one click open, one click close), or am I stuck with this? Thanks!
I've done that also but realize its not the right way. a little movement away will stop the IR and close the shutter. I also tried pressing it but your hand will hurt staying on the same position and a little shake will cause some blur on the image. The best thing is to use the wired cable as they suggested.
09-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #8
Raylon

If you have some soldering know-how and the right parts you can make one. I attached a picture of one I made out of an old film canister. If you are wanting some directions, just let me know and I can type some up. By the way picture was taken with an iPhone so that's why it sucks. And for some reason the forum keeps automatically turning it. Not sure why.

Black button is shutter, Red is focusing, and switch is shutter also. Works awesome, cost about $3 to make.

Attached Images