Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 01:20 PM   #1

Light Meter won't work on my Asahi Pentax KX

Hello all,
Allow me to preface my question by stating that I'm new to this site and a novice. I have an Asahi Pentax KX 35mm from 1977, I just replaced the batteries and I still cannot get the light meter to operate. I've tried everything the manual specifies and nothing has worked. The camera appears to be in great condition and except for the light meter, it seems to operate perfectly, according to the guy at the camera shop, who couldn't get it to work either. If anyone can help it would greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Anthony

12-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Easiest thing to check is corrosion in the battery compartment. If that's not it, I would take off the bottom plate of the camera, probably only three screws. (I've never seen an actual KX but on other K series, the center screw is different then the outer two.) There's a wire running to the battery compartment. A leaking battery can corrode this wire enough so it breaks off right where it attaches. Reattaching is sort of annoying. The connector is stainless steel, so it doesn't dissolve under corrosion. It's pretty hard to solder, though.
12-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
First triage: you must have the wind lever pulled out some - if you're left eyed, it pokes you - for the meter to turn on. But as you've read the manual, I'm guessing you know this already.

Second triage: read the manual where it explains how to check battery power. Are you getting any? If the indicator lights up, this could indicate something wrong with the meter circuit itself. If not...

Third triage: are the batteries in the right direction?

If all of the above doesn't work, and the corrosion thing doesn't seem to apply, you might consider sending the camera to Eric:
Home
12-04-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you are looking through the viewfinder, does pressing the battery test botton cause the meter needle to move from the top to the bottom of the view finder frame?

If not then you have a battery problem (most likely) or (much less likely) there is something seriously wrong with the metering circuit.

If the battery test works alright then half cocking the wind lever and half pressing the shutter button should turn the meter on.

On the positive side of things, the KX only needs a battery for is the meter so if you are willing to use a hand held meter the camera should still be quite useable.