Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2009, 03:43 AM   #1

k100d firmware update/takumar lens

Hello, and thanks for the great site!

I've got a K100d which I purchased used. A few questions:
1. How can I tell if it has the latestes firmware update...?
2. If it does not...how do I find/download/upload the latest?
3. I have an old screwmount Takumar 1.4 lens. It is in great condition. It has an "auto/manual" select...what is this?
4. Will this lens interface well, and is it worth keeping...or is it reduntant with the Tamron 28-80 which was included.

Thanks for the time, and consideration...

12-06-2009, 06:38 AM   #2

K100D Firmware, etc.

1) If you hold down the menu button when you turn on your camera, it will display the firmware version. Version 1.02 is the latest. If you have it you're OK.

2) Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

3) The Auto/Manual switch has to do with the aperture operation. Since your K100D doesn't have the mechanism to close the aperture, you need to use it in Manual. You can switch to Auto to open up for focusing and then stop down by switching to Manual.

4) You didn't say what the focal length is. I'll assume 50mm. That was a very common lens. I have one. It will probably give you a sharper picture, but takes more effort to use. You have a focus assist on the camera. I kept mine.

David
12-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

A bit of advice, if your firmware is not the latest and you want to update it...never..never use just ordinary batteries or ordinary NiMH batteries!
Use hybrid rechargeables labeled "precharged" like Eneloop or White Kodak or Rayovacs.
Make sure that they are fully charged or new!
Better yet, use a power cord or adapter.
There has already been one member who bricked his K100D from upgrading firmware.
Firmware upgrading uses a lot of power so if your battery is not up to it and drains or hangs in the middle of the firmware update..you would have bricked your camera and just bought yourself a very expensive paperweight!
This is not meant to scare you but be sure you know what you are doing before actually proceeding with this.
12-07-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I 2nd. GerryL. You don`t want it to die on you in the middle of updating. AC power supply and fresh batteries in the camera would be the safest way, AC gets interrupted, batteries keep it going.

Cheers, Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-07-2009 at 03:55 PM.
12-08-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPilot Quote
Hello, and thanks for the great site!

3. I have an old screwmount Takumar 1.4 lens. It is in great condition. It has an "auto/manual" select...what is this?
4. Will this lens interface well, and is it worth keeping...or is it reduntant with the Tamron 28-80 which was included.

Thanks for the time, and consideration...
I assume that the Takumar 1.4 lens is a 50mm, so-called "normal" lens. That is a very good lens and it will work on any Pentax dslr, with a relatively inexpensive adapter.

The Auto/Manual switch on the lens refers to the aperture operation. These lenses were "automatic" in that the camera pushed the little silver pin on the lens mount to stop the aperture down to the selected f-stop. Otherwise the lens remains wide open for focusing. The camera stops it down for exposure and then lets if open again. With the switch in the Manual position, the aperture stops down immediately as you turn the ring.

Try it. Put the lens in Auto and turn the aperture ring while watching through the lens. Nothing should happen. With the aperture set at 16, push the silver pin. The aperture will close.

Now put the lens in Manual mode and turn the ring. The aperture should close and open as you turn the ring.

Back in the day, this was used when the lens was on an extension tube or bellows, which did not have the linkage to let the camera operate the aperture. On a dslr, it is important, because no Pentax dslr has the necessary linkage to push the pin, so the lens MUST be used in manual mode. This is not as bad as it seems. I use that very lens on my K10D. I put the lens in M mode, the camera in aperture-priority mode and fire away. I set the aperture on the lens and the camera picks the necessary shutter speed.

While the 50mm focal length is duplicated by the Tamron 28-80 zoom, the f/1.4 aperture can be very useful for low-light situations. I believe that the maximum aperture of the Tamron is f/3.5. That's over two stops.