Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Flash for beginners...help!

Hi,

I have got a new toy! an AF 360FGZ.

So - several pages into the manual : Set your camera mode.
I know my K200D isnt a full frame 35 mm, right? but It isnt medium format either, because i never heard of a medium format....

1. What am i setting my flash for? and why is this relevant? and what is medium format?
2. If i am using 35mm format, if i go manual, do i multiply my lens length by 1.5 ?
3. The manual only mention *ist, MZ-L/MZ-6/ZX-L, MZ-S....what is mine, a K200D, equivalent to?
4. What is a hot shoe adapter for? I thought its for separating the flash from the main body, but wireless works okay without it.
5. The camera Wireless flash mode goes gray and unselectable once i use a manual lens....like my manual 50mm 1.7. Does that mean i can not use wireless with a manual lens?
6. When setting the flash in manual mode, that is , setting its aperture and ISO and focal length, is it a rule of thumb to set it the exact same setting as my camera?
7. My camera gives me a -3 warning when things are going to be too dark. Can it somehow sync with the flash, so it knows that it wont be so dark? how do i set that setting?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers

12-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey there.
How do you want to use this flash?
If you just want it to be an auto flash, all you have to do is switch it on with the green mode on it set, and use any of your modes on the camera (except M or B) to enjoy P-TTL auto exposure. It may need tweaking to get exposure right for your scenes but it should work.

The K200D like all other Pentax dSLRS is in APS-C format. Forget about the zoom head mm scale - it'll adjust that automatically with any A, F, FA, DFA or DA lens (and their equivalents).

You don't need any adapter for wireless mode - it should do fine just using the popup flash as the control/master.

In M mode on the camera, you have the flexibility to do what you will with the exposure. There are no rules of thumb as each creative situation demands different settings. If you want auto flash, just flick to Av mode on the camera.

The flash communicates with the camera to decide how much flash to use for the scene (in auto mode). You can adjust the flash's output by extra stops above and below the standard, either by the camera's EC settings, or by the flash unit's own FEC setting.

Hope this helps.
12-06-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Ash, thanks for the answers.

I am looking for creative usage of the flash, so i would like to mostly use it off the camera. All of my lenses, except the kit lens, are fully manual lenses. So , cant even set the A setting on these lenses.

The issue right now is this : when i have my kit lens DA 18-55? on the camera, i can select the following 3 settings on my flash setting :

Flash On, Flash + red eye, Wireless Flash.

However, when i have my manual 50mm 1.7 lens on the camera, i can only setting the first two setting, Wireless Flash is greyed out.

Is there a setting i missed, or a specific setting i need to set this at, or i really cant do wireless with manual lenses?

Cheers!
12-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Wireless flash requires some communication between the lens and the camera to work out exposure. M lenses don't offer this and so make them incompatible with wireless flash.

Even with the flash on the hotshoe, the flash (on auto mode) has no choice than to fire at full power since it doesn't know what to set the intensity at with no idea what the aperture is.

12-06-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by D4rknezz Quote
Hi,

I have got a new toy! an AF 360FGZ.

So - several pages into the manual : Set your camera mode.
I know my K200D isnt a full frame 35 mm, right? but It isnt medium format either, because i never heard of a medium format....

1. What am i setting my flash for? and why is this relevant? and what is medium format?
2. If i am using 35mm format, if i go manual, do i multiply my lens length by 1.5 ?
3. The manual only mention *ist, MZ-L/MZ-6/ZX-L, MZ-S....what is mine, a K200D, equivalent to?
4. What is a hot shoe adapter for? I thought its for separating the flash from the main body, but wireless works okay without it.
5. The camera Wireless flash mode goes gray and unselectable once i use a manual lens....like my manual 50mm 1.7. Does that mean i can not use wireless with a manual lens?
6. When setting the flash in manual mode, that is , setting its aperture and ISO and focal length, is it a rule of thumb to set it the exact same setting as my camera?
7. My camera gives me a -3 warning when things are going to be too dark. Can it somehow sync with the flash, so it knows that it wont be so dark? how do i set that setting?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers
The AF360FGZ was introduced quite a while ago, and is compatible with DSLRs, 35mm film cameras, and the 645 series medium format film cameras. You can ignore all references to film in the manual; the flash takes care of that automatically, including lens focal length. Unfortunately, the manual has not been updated for the digital age. The videos linked here will help:

PENTAX DSLRs: Pentax Flash Photography tutorials.

Hot shoe adapters are only needed for a wired off-camera setup, so you don't need to worry about that. As the previous post said, unless you have a KA mount lens or better, none of the cool flash features really work; you are mostly stuck with manual modes.
12-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ah perfect. That explains a lot, thanks guys!

I guess the end of my LBA was not any time soon afterall....moving to the land of automated lenses....