Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2009, 09:04 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any of the above, but preferably, in post processing starting from RAW. The camera NR only gives you extremely coarse levels of control. Kind of like a stove I once owned that had push button controls for temperature, so you had only 3 different levels of heat you could select for each burner. Still, you might as well check to see if one of the levels happens to make you happy. You're looking for high ISO NR, not slow shutter NR, and try weak, strong, and strongest, or whatever the options called in your camera.

Not sure what the GIMP provides in the way of NR, but it is so painful to use overall, I could certainly understand being reluctant to do PP if that's all you have available. If you're trying to stay with "free", I'd look at Picasa. But I'd also be thinking about spending $100-$200 on a program like Photoshop Elements, ACDSee Pro, or maybe Lightroom if you can qualify for the educational discount. Doing PP should *not* be a lot of work - programs like the above have very quick facilities to batch apply a given NR preset to a whole bunch of images at once, copy exposure or WB settings from image to image, etc. Takes all of a minute to correct the NR, WB, and exposure for an entire shoot.

12-07-2009, 03:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Any of the above, but preferably, in post processing starting from RAW. The camera NR only gives you extremely coarse levels of control. Kind of like a stove I once owned that had push button controls for temperature, so you had only 3 different levels of heat you could select for each burner. Still, you might as well check to see if one of the levels happens to make you happy. You're looking for high ISO NR, not slow shutter NR, and try weak, strong, and strongest, or whatever the options called in your camera.

Not sure what the GIMP provides in the way of NR, but it is so painful to use overall, I could certainly understand being reluctant to do PP if that's all you have available. If you're trying to stay with "free", I'd look at Picasa. But I'd also be thinking about spending $100-$200 on a program like Photoshop Elements, ACDSee Pro, or maybe Lightroom if you can qualify for the educational discount. Doing PP should *not* be a lot of work - programs like the above have very quick facilities to batch apply a given NR preset to a whole bunch of images at once, copy exposure or WB settings from image to image, etc. Takes all of a minute to correct the NR, WB, and exposure for an entire shoot.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I'll look into what you've suggested and mess around with the camera as well. I feel I'm close on really getting a handle with this thing, and have found getting a couple suggestions and then messing around with the camera really helps!! Thanks again.

vmax84
12-07-2009, 05:09 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vmax84 Quote
Thanks again, Dave. Like I said, 800 is ok, and 1600 is ok if I just have to get the shot, but i'm ok with 800 and will try that with flash next time. With the fast 50, should really open up my depth of field.

But now that I've got that figured out, should I set it to TV and set my shutter speed myself, or, set it to automatic and let the camera figure that out? Thanks again.

vmax84
What I prefer is Av mode. Partly, I use it all the time so I know how it works. But it is useful in a flash situation. If you're using your 50mm, you can choose an aperture around f2.8 or f3.5, which is enough depth of field for a portrait at most distances. That's still letting a lot of ambient light in, so your flash doesn't have to work so hard. Less flash means less direct light, harsh shadows, etc. (Raising ISO does something similar without affecting DOF.) The downside is white balance. It's easy to get people lit by two very different light sources, so they look odd and you can't tell where to set WB.
12-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #19

You might also want to consider using the Community version of Noiseware. It is a free download Imagenomic - Imagination at Shutter Speed and it's worth at least twice that much I find that it does a very decent job a noise reduction.