Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
Here's one of my recent attempts that didn't turn out so well...

Both these images were taken at basically the same settings (1/500, f/2.8, ISO6400, 70mm). Now I know his camera cost way more than a K20D, and it's full frame, so it gathers more light at the same zoom. So the first thing I think I need to do is use a shorter lens for the diving and crop where necessary. Does that make sense? And what else would you recommend to get better results?
Are you certain about that 1/500 requirement? The reason I ask, is that we commonly photograph indoor events such as dancing and shows and we typicaly stay in the 1/125 - 1200'ish range. Though I could completely see diving requiring a faster shutter but from my experience, I've covered cars and horses at 1/350th. - [This is more of an inquisitive question than a judgment one.]

As for the D3(which happens to be my favorite camera in the world right now ), I would have no doubts on it's superiority in this situation. I mean... after all, this is what it was designed for

Having said that, I think you can squeeze a little more out of your lowly K20 than what your seeing here. However, If it were me, I'd get a poor man's D3(K-x) and put that D3 owner to shame lol

As for your K20, have you tried experimenting with your shutter speeds to see if you can find a sweet spot? On our side of things, I found the K20D to do rather well up to ISO4000 which may give you enough latency to keep your shutter speeds in the 1/300'th range. The only thing you'd need to watch for is your exposure and WB in order to keep your noise levels to a minimum.

PS. I'd still gran a Kx and laugh my way past those D3 shooters.
Oh and your UPDATE looks bang on! btw

12-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #17
Veteran Member

In a calm, friendly manner, have a talk with the divers, explaining your difficulties. They might be willing to cooperate with you & dive a little slower.