Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 01:54 PM   #1

[langtitle=nl]color red shows as purple[/langtitle]

I just bought a k20d and joined the forum and I already have a question.

The red in all my photographs (so far only taken inside and in evening) show an awfull color red. Bright red shows as puple.
What are the best default color settings? I placed all color setting under the functionskey in the middle and selected 'natural'. White balance is on Auto. Still no bright red.
Is there a setting I am missing??

12-09-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pieterpost Quote

The red in all my photographs (so far only taken inside and in evening) show an awfull color red. Bright red shows as puple.
What are the best default color settings? I placed all color setting under the functionskey in the middle and selected 'natural'. White balance is on Auto. Still no bright red.
Pieter, I suggest you try and use RAW shooting.
You can later change all the colour settings in post processing.
Otherwise, take a photo first, alter the colour settings (for instance to artificial light) on the camera and you will see the effects it would have had on the previous picture. That way you can preview the effects.

Good luck, Bert
12-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pieterpost Quote

No current camera works perfectly under artificial lighting. Assuming your room is lit with incandescent lights, you need to change the setting from AWB to Tungsten white balance. Or as Bert said, shoot raw and post-process.
12-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Part of the problem is the Auto WB, which has to guess at the color of the light and is easily by really intense colors. Shoot a red object and the camera has no idea is that's a red object in white light or a white object in red light, so it tries to compromise. The solution to this is to set WB manually (either using preset or actually using manual WB), or to shoot RAW and correct the WB later.

Another part of the problem is that all color is made of red, green, and blue components, and when shooting a bright object, the red channel may get maxed out ("clip") at a point when the picture is still underexposed. if oyu expose the picture to look good overall, the red channel may be *very* clipped - meaning the camera basically had to ignore/throw away a lot of the red because it couldn't handle any more. A solution to this is to deliberately underexpose to avoid clipping the red channel. The histogram on the rear LCD is your friend here - specifically, the version of the histogram where it shows you red, green, and blue channels separately.

Another part of the problem is that your camera LCD and computer monitor are very likely lying to you abot the color, unless you have calibrated your monitor using a hardware device liek the Spyder or Huey. So the picture might indeed be red, but your monitors is off and is making it look too purple. The solution is, obviously, to calibrate your monitor.