Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 02:16 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Beginner flash?

Ok, so I'd like to get an external flask for my K20D... I don't have a specific use in mind other than for indoor shots... maybe to do a little fill light outside...

Without a specific use, and without spending a lot, what's a good general flash for beginner that's better than the pop up?

Thanks,

Ken

12-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I bought an AF360-FGZ and it's been great. I do wish I'd bought the AF540-FGZ instead. I suspect I'll just add that, and use the 360 off-camera. Once you see how much better your indoor photography is with flash - you'll never go anywhere without it. At least, I don't anymore.
12-10-2009, 02:27 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lots of choices here.
Matt's guide comes in handy: http://pttl.mattdm.org/
Consider one that both tilts and swivels, as this gives you the most versatility indoors as well as outside.
12-10-2009, 02:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great site Ash. I'm going to study it before pulling the trigger on my next flash. Thanks!

12-10-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you don't mind not having wireless capability you might want to try any of the Vivitar, Bower, Rokinon, or Digital Concept flashes.
There are 2 kinds, one with an LCD back and one that has simple LED indicator lights.
Both the simple higher priced and the simple one have rear curtain sync options.
These are very easy to use and are dedicated P-TTL.
There are some reviews of them on the Camera and Studio accessories part of the forum.
You have to do a search though as it might already be buried after the new threads.
The most pricey is the Vivitar, but it is the same copy as the other brands as they are made by a company called Tumax.
12-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

Well I use an AF400T, a Vivitar 286HV, and a Mamiya flash. I am just getting into studio work and have set one up in an unused formal living room. The pro work I use to do never required a studio of any type and now with a child to practice with I felt the need to learn another aspect. I started off small. And cheap. Flashpoint wireless with 3 receivers, a shoot thru umbrella. All from Adorama. Tried it all out last night playing with exposure and I love the end results. That being said, when I use the AF400T or the 285 on camera I usually treat it like a film exposure. I go for the 1/60 sec and use the aperture as recommended by the flash for the distance. It works for me anyway. It's a starting point for me. I love experimenting.

The AF400T is expensive for sure. But the Vivitar isn't.
12-10-2009, 08:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Older flashes like the AF-280t work well, but you have to be resigned to the fact that they don't have PTTL, so their auto ability is limited, although it worked quite well for me in P-Mode.

12-10-2009, 09:40 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't forget some type of light modifier. Nothing worse than un-defused flash light. Something like the Omnibounce, Gary Fong,s Lightsphere, etc. is essential. Sigma EF 530 DG Super is a powerful inexpensive flash. The ST model lacks TTL control. Also, check out the Strobist blog for information on placement, gel usage, etc.