Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 09:27 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Getting into printing...

So I just got/bought a Epson Stylus 1400 for Christmas...

I'd like to use it to print some of my photo's to give as gifts... Just an amateur, but I would like to do the best I can so.... What are some resources I can read to prepare myself for this endeavor?

My cursory reading so far is leading me to believe that printing is another whole ball of wax regarding complexity... color profiles... papers... etc, etc....

Are there some good websites out there to get me started?

Thanks,

Ken

12-10-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Assuming you use an LCD in lieu of a good ole CRT you might as well familiarize with the issue of dark prints due to bright screen. I think a good start might be the recent Shutterbug article. Just google the words- shutterbug prints are darker than on screen, and it should be the top link. Color calibration of your monitor is another issue that you have probably already considered and will enjoy trying to match optics based color to pigments based color....I know I did. Good luck.
12-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Assuming you use an LCD in lieu of a good ole CRT you might as well familiarize with the issue of dark prints due to bright screen. I think a good start might be the recent Shutterbug article. Just google the words- shutterbug prints are darker than on screen, and it should be the top link. Color calibration of your monitor is another issue that you have probably already considered and will enjoy trying to match optics based color to pigments based color....I know I did. Good luck.
Yup, calibration, calibration, calibration.
After a while you will start to understand why sometimes your prints came back from the lab with odd colour casts.
12-11-2009, 07:04 AM   #4
graphicgr8s

Download the files for the paper you're going to use. If printing from photoshop make sure photoshop handles the color management and remember to turn it off in the print driver. Don't let the printer handle color management or all your calibration will be for naught.

I calibrate my stuff regularly however on a couple of devices I print to I still have to run an action to correct color. Remember what your looking at on screen is transmitted light, the print is reflected.

12-11-2009, 08:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
There's a good Epson Printer forum hosted by Yahoo! Groups. Many friendly and helpful folks there:

EPSON_Printers : EPSON Printers (World's Largest)

Getting all the color management settings optimized is quite bizantine.

Color management setup will vary depending on your O/S (XP, Vista, 7?, Mac), application and printer driver. For complete color management, you will need to adjust settings in all 3, (at least on Windows platforms)

Ian Lyons has documented the settings in detail for printing in Photoshop to Epson printers. He's covered many generations of printers, PS and O/S. You may have to read a few different articles, but I've followed Ian's instructions for many years.

Computer Darkroom - Home

If you are on Windows, you should look into Qimage from DDIsoft. It's a low cost but very sophisticated printing application with built in color management, state of the art image scaling/interpolation and print sharpening. I've used it for many years, and the upgrades have been free. DDIsoft has a forum where you can get lots of help.

Qimage Professional Quality Photo Printing Software

Hope this helps