Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2009, 12:02 PM   #1

About the different shooting modes : landscape , macro etc

To make this short, can I just use manual mode instead to emulate those different modes? Such as changing aperture and shutter speed? Or is there something that the camera does only in those modes? Such as in macro mode, the ability to focus in at a closer range or something.

Thanks

12-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by boodiespost Quote
To make this short, can I just use manual mode instead to emulate those different modes? Such as changing aperture and shutter speed? Or is there something that the camera does only in those modes? Such as in macro mode, the ability to focus in at a closer range or something.

Thanks
The camera doesn't do anything in the automatic modes you can't do yourself in manual (or Av or Tv). For Macro, the camera probably (I'm not sure, but this is what I imagine what is happening) chooses to focus on whatever is closest, rather than the farthest, and use the smallest aperture possible in order to get the largest depth of field. These things you can do perfectly well yourself in M, Av or Tv.

Last edited by kevinschoenmakers; 12-11-2009 at 01:03 PM.
12-11-2009, 01:00 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To be honest, those auto modes are quite gimmicky, not magical modes that transform the camera into a macro or landscape capturing machine.

You can emulate all the modes with the particular settings each mode has been pre-set to (I believe they may be indicated in the camera manual). The problem with them is that they are still all auto modes with no ability to manually override the exposure settings the camera decides on to capture the scene in front of it.

If you want more control over your exposure settings (aperture, shutter speed, sensitivity), then I'd suggest going to the mode which will give you the control you want. e.g. Av mode if you want direct control over aperture, but are not overly concerned about shutter speed.

I recall a "Sunset" mode on my old K100D, which apparently deepened the reds and oranges in the image but apart from that quite an unimportant scene mode. All my fine adjustments are best done in post-processing, and that is after I've converted all images from RAW to JPEG.

Hope this helps.
PS. I believe Kevin means "smallest aperture possible to maximise DoF" in macro mode - a high aperture number is a small aperture.
12-11-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
PS. I believe Kevin means "smallest aperture possible to maximise DoF" in macro mode - a high aperture number is a small aperture.
Well spotted, thanks

12-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #5

What about the 'Night Scene' in the SCN mode? What exactly does the camera do?

Does it up the ISO and/or largest aperture?
12-11-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I neither know nor care. I know what *I'd* do, though, in any given setting. And if I didn't, I'd just shoot P rather than hope that not only did I pick the right mode, but that what the camera chose to do in that mode is what I'd actually want. That's like taking a lottery ticket and using it to bet on roulette.