Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 05:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Can I use old manual lenses on new K-m DSLR?

Hi there,

I'm thinking of buying a DSLR to replace my K1000. Can I use my old lenses on the new K-m? I have a Pentax-M 1:2 50mm among others back at home.

From reading https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59817-old-film-...lr-bodies.html it seems like they will fit and work in manual mode.

Any issues I should be aware of? I'm not an expert at this!

Many thanks all!

12-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes; also see the sticky thread in this forum how how to actually use the lens (which custom option you need to set, which button to press to meter, etc).

BTW, the K-m isn't new - the K-x is. The K-m is really the only Pentax body I would *not* recommend for using manual lenses, since it lacks DOF preview and therefore a way to get a "live" meter reading. But you can at least use the +/- button as desribed in the aforementioned thread to set a shutter speed for you based on the currently selecte aperture, so it's not completely useless.
12-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Marc for the info. I picked up a K200D in the end on your advice re the DOF preview. Cheers!
12-15-2009, 04:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The beautiful thing about Pentax,is that it has the backward compatibility.You can use DA,FA,FAJ,F,A,M,K series lenses and even M42 screw mount with a K adapter of course.So if you have some older Pentax lenses,be assured that they will work providing you follow the advice on what Marc gave you.