Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Finally got in the digital world with a K-7. I asked Pentax & they responded & I have another question & don't want to drive them nuts, so I'll drive you nuts instead
I have an old pentax af200sa flash. Pentax told me to use that in manual mode. Would the flash x mode also be considered a manual mode? Thanks for any input & look forward to browsing this forum & learning more about digital picture taking, etc.

NeilJ

12-12-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does that flash have an "auto" mode? I do not mean TTL, but auto. If so you can use it that way, It should have a little chart on it telling you what aperture and shutter speed to use for whatever ISO you choose. I have a 3rd party flash with auto mode, and once you figure it out, it works pretty well. On mine, I usually start out at ISO 100, F5.6, and 1/180 of a second, and adjust from there. You'll need to shoot in M mode on your camera.
12-12-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Right, but to answer your question, the camera's X mode is basically a fixed shutter speed mode (1/180 sec), not really a manual mode as M mode allows for any shutter speed setting. You can basically emulate the X mode by using M mode and selecting 1/180 as the shutter speed.
12-12-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your input. This flash worked per program on my A3000 with the ring set to a. I can go by the chart & guide number in the flash owners manual & do some experimenting. I just wanted to be careful & not damage any circuirty in the camera using this old flash wrong.
Again, thanks for your input.

neilj