Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Macro Teleconverter questions

I have a Vivitar 2x Macro TC and a Panagor 3x Macro TC.

1) Does the TC value increase the minimum focus distance? Would a 50mm w/2x TC achieve the same magnification at the same distance as a 100mm macro?

2) Does the 2 or 3 stop reduction of light count as stopping down the aperture with regards to a lens' "sweet spot"?

I have not had much time to work with these TC's but I really like the results I have gotten thus far. I have read some good discussions concerning macro solutions but few mentions of TC's. They might be inferior to other methods but I found these two to be well worth the small price paid.

12-13-2009, 01:58 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bogiesbad Quote
I have a Vivitar 2x Macro TC and a Panagor 3x Macro TC.

1) Does the TC value increase the minimum focus distance? Would a 50mm w/2x TC achieve the same magnification at the same distance as a 100mm macro?
Yes, if you mean distance from the lens.
QuoteQuote:
2) Does the 2 or 3 stop reduction of light count as stopping down the aperture with regards to a lens' "sweet spot"?
Yes in principle, but the image may be degraded by the TC (at least the diffraction disk's diameter is also multiplied by the TC; depending on the sensor resolution this may shift the sweet spot to a wider aperture.)

Dave in Iowa
12-13-2009, 06:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Dave.