Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 07:11 PM   #1

Christmas boat parade help needed

Tomorrow night I will be going to the Huntington Harbour Boat parade and I will be taking photos. I am a total newbie at night time photography. I have the K 100D with various lenses and a sunpak 383 flash. I will be on a boat taking photos of moving boats decked out for christmas. I am looking for help on camera settings. Iso 400 or auto? white balance auto or? Aperture, shutter speed? I will be using a tripod. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

12-12-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's not going to be an easy task as for night shots you will be looking at long exposures and the movement of the boat is going to create problems, even with a tripod. You will need to shoot at very high ISO to get a shutter speed fast enough to overcome the boat motion unless the boat you are going to be on is very, very large and securely anchored as not to drift.
12-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A lens that has f1.8 or lower and is still fairly sharp, if you can pan the ship, you should be able to get some great shots. I usually shoot normal Christmas parades without lighting.....boats should work well...
12-13-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ozbuc Quote
Tomorrow night I will be going to the Huntington Harbour Boat parade and I will be taking photos. I am a total newbie at night time photography. I have the K 100D with various lenses and a sunpak 383 flash. I will be on a boat taking photos of moving boats decked out for christmas. I am looking for help on camera settings. Iso 400 or auto? white balance auto or? Aperture, shutter speed? I will be using a tripod. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Being on the boat is nice, but be warned, boats move. Your tripod will move with the boat and assuming it is a power boat, the tripod will vibrate in tune with the engine. High shutter speeds won't show these problems, but the speeds you will need for the lighted boats will. It is much easier, photographically, if you stay ashore.
I've done this in Annapolis, Md. and Freeport, NY, using either a tripod or a monopod from shore. I had my camera set on auto ISO with a high limit of 1250, Auto white balance, center weighted metering, center spot focus, and usually Program biased for depth of field although on some I set it to Aperture Priority. If you want to see samples, go to my webshots page (link below) and scroll down until you see eith Annapolis or Freeport Boat Parade. If you open the individual photos and scroll down, they list some of the exif info. Most of all, enjoy the show and have fun.
briantimmins's photos and albums on webshots

12-13-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks to all for your help and suggestions. I may have the opportunity to do some shooting before or after go aboard the boat but not sure. I will take what advice I have received here and see what I come up with.
12-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
Inactive Account

So, how was your experience?
Post some shots so we can see.
12-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
The experience didn't really happen as planned. At the last minute the wife took ill and we ended up canceling.
12-14-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by ozbuc Quote
The experience didn't really happen as planned. At the last minute the wife took ill and we ended up canceling.
Sorry to hear that. I hope she's feeling better soon.
There's always next year.