Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Do you tweak?

OK people. Are these fab fotos tweaked? I've been playing around with the SilkyPix that came with the K-7 & Elements. Out of a .pef, .tiff & 3 jpegs of one image I've gotten five pictures each with noticeable differences. Of course the easiest tweak is with Elements & ctrl, shift, l, but that picture just didn't look right. Good, yeah, but not right. Just a little tweaking with the SilkyPix made the picture look as I remebered the composure. Of course my memory & eyes aren't what they use to be. I guess I ought to print a couple of the images & go back to the site & see which pic best resembles the setting.
So, what is kosher when I post a pic here, tweaked or not, that is the question?

Thanks for your input.
neilj

12-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you browse these forums, you'll see the exact same topic was discussed a few weeks ago. The bottom line was that most people said that most of the photos they liked enough to post had been post processed in some way.
12-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by neilj Quote
OK people. Are these fab fotos tweaked? I've been playing around with the SilkyPix that came with the K-7 & Elements. Out of a .pef, .tiff & 3 jpegs of one image I've gotten five pictures each with noticeable differences. Of course the easiest tweak is with Elements & ctrl, shift, l, but that picture just didn't look right. Good, yeah, but not right. Just a little tweaking with the SilkyPix made the picture look as I remebered the composure. Of course my memory & eyes aren't what they use to be. I guess I ought to print a couple of the images & go back to the site & see which pic best resembles the setting.
So, what is kosher when I post a pic here, tweaked or not, that is the question?

Thanks for your input.
neilj
image processing software = darkroom tricks and techniques ==> same-same

There is nothing which makes an image superior to another except what the final product looks like. All a subjective opinion. I could care less if an image has been edited or not as long as I like it...

Also, image processing software makes up for some of the short comings of digital compared to film, though those differences are almost nil these days, but there can be a very noticeable difference simply because of the type of film used (one could argue that is another form of PP...different type of film = image filters or whatever).
12-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Neil,
I'll hazard to say you won't find any photographer who is proud of his/her work happy to display images not manipulated even just slightly in PP.
Even studio shots where the lighting, props and makeup are so well controlled are subjected to a boost in contrast or a touch of colour to bring out what the photographer wanted in the image.

Of course, there comes a point where manipulation starts to look unnatural or excessive for a particular image - it's up to the photographer to decide this, and the viewers to appreciate it.

12-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

It's always nice when you nail it first time, but in my case that's all to rare and I don't see a problem with some adjustment, especially if it's a picture you cannot retake.
12-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the info people. Sorry to repeat something that had been talked about recently. Now I can sleep at nights when I tweak. It proably will be sometime before I can get that perfect picture on camera.

neilj
12-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by neilj Quote
Thanks for the info people. Sorry to repeat something that had been talked about recently. Now I can sleep at nights when I tweak. It proably will be sometime before I can get that perfect picture on camera.

neilj
Everyone tweaks, it's natural and perfectly normal....some tweak multiple times daily, some says it's relaxing...just do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.
12-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Gotcha!!! I'll try & remember that.

neilj

12-14-2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you think it will improve the overall image,then by all means"TWEAK away".Some people tweak better then others.It's learning and practicing what your tweaking programs can do.
12-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

"tweaking" is nothing new.

Back in the film and print days, people would burn, dodge crop etc.

The only hard core non-tweakers I can think of are the slide shooters.
12-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. I should have remembered. When my wife & I had our picture taken by a pro, she photoshopped my wife's head off one image & put on another one for the one we picked out for framing. If a pro chooses to tweak, I'll definitely need to.

neilj
12-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Here's a quote

"Three images go into making your final photograph. The first is the image you visualize--the story you are compelled to tell. The second is the scene you capture with your camera. The third is the image you refine in post-production. The better we are at all of these, the closer the photograph will come to reflecting our initial vision."

David duChemin, "Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision "

michael mckee
My Port Townsend A City in Photographs 365
12-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
"tweaking" is nothing new.

Back in the film and print days, people would burn, dodge crop etc.

The only hard core non-tweakers I can think of are the slide shooters.
As a formerly confirmed slide shooter with over 10,000 transparencies I did my share of tweeking. But, due to the nature of the medium all manipulation had to be done at the time the photo was made, in the camera.

The instruments used were called filters and Cokin, with its wide array of filters, greatly expanded the possibilities for slide tweeking.

Admittedly it was not done very often and it had to be done judiciously.

I think that whatever it takes to make the picture that you want is quite acceptable as long as it is not done for malicious purposes.

Mickey
12-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sounds like a book I'd like to read MysticCowboy. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

neilj
12-18-2009, 10:26 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I've been clean now for nigh on a year.