Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2009, 03:35 PM   #1
Inactive Account

firmware updates?

I just got a new K-x, and I noticed some people posting about firmware updates. What are they and do I need any and how do I go about getting them?

12-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
PFH
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You find the latest firmware update here
Latest K-x Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

* Added three kinds of particular effect shooting function (Pre-set 1,2 and 3) on [Cross Processing].
* Added assignment of Cross Processing function to the green button.
* Improved accuracy of Battery Level Indicator under specific conditions and improved stability for general performance.
12-13-2009, 03:44 PM   #3
PFH
Site Supporter

BTW congrats on your new Pentax!
12-13-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by canonwoman Quote
What are they
I notice PFH has explained what the latest firmware fixes/changes, but if you literally don't know what 'firmware' is (which is how your q comes across to me), then it's the computer program in the camera that tells it how to do things. Updating the firmware let's the manufacturer change how the camera works. This usually means fixing things that don't work as intended, but sometimes means adding functionality.

QuoteQuote:
and do I need any
good question! Generally, it's a good idea to update to the latest and greatest firmware. Occasionally, people prefer not to but there's usually specific reasons not too. Best to wait a few days and make sure others are successful and happy though.

QuoteQuote:
and how do I go about getting them?
Usually can be found on the manufacturers website. There will be a file to download and some instructions on what to do. Take note of the warnings about using fresh batteries as one thing that can go wrong, is for the camera to run out of power in the middle of an update.

If you know all that, sorry, but then someone else might learn something

12-13-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
Forum Member

This might be the wrong spot, and sorry for the thread hijack, but is there a firmware update for the K20D?
12-13-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Congratulations on the new K-x. I'm seeing that the K-x is creating not just a lot of new Pentaxians, but also female Pentaxians also to balance things out.
12-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Firmware update for K20D

QuoteOriginally posted by nitrox28 Quote
This might be the wrong spot, and sorry for the thread hijack, but is there a firmware update for the K20D?
Yes, the latest version is 1.03. You can tell which is in your camera by holding the Menu button down while turning the camera on. The version number will display on the back LCD for a couple of seconds. I believe that this works for most, if not all Pentax dslrs.

Note: you do not need to load each firmware update seperately. They are cumulative. IOW, there was a version 1.01, they skipped 1.02, and then released 1.03. You do not need to load 1.01 first. Just download and install 1.03.

Just download the file and follow the instructions on the website.

A couple of things are important to note, and that sometimes confuse newbies. First, make sure that you do this with a fully charged battery. If the battery dies while installing the firmware, you have a very expensive paperweight. Secondly, after extracting the firmware from the downloaded file, put the firmware file IN THE ROOT DIRECTORY of the SD card. Do not put it in the DCIM directory or one of the picture directories.
12-15-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you! Exactly what I needed to know.

12-15-2009, 04:54 AM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats on your new K-x and before you get sucked into the battery drama around here...use lithiums and you will not have any problems.
12-15-2009, 09:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PinarelloOnly Quote
Congrats on your new K-x and before you get sucked into the battery drama around here...use lithiums and you will not have any problems.
Better yet, try to use the in-line DC supply to ensure that your battery never would run out of juice when updating.
Remember...expensive paperweight!