Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
IQ?LBA?

Do we have a list of commonly used acronym's used on the Forum for us newbs getting into the jargon is always hard when you are starting out .
Cheers Mark

12-14-2009, 07:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wedgetail Quote
Do we have a list of commonly used acronym's used on the Forum for us newbs getting into the jargon is always hard when you are starting out .
Cheers Mark
IQ is image quality I guess and LBA is Lens Buying Addiction!

Greetings,

Remco
12-14-2009, 08:02 PM   #3

Original Poster
well i have a bad dose of LBA IQ is why i am staying with Pentax any more I should know about .
Cheers Mark
12-15-2009, 12:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Good luck on this. Groups generally set up in-group language to exclude outsiders; photography sites are notorious for it.

Ideally, participants would use a standard first-use rule: the first time you use an acronym you spell it out in parentheses. It's good practice, common courtesy and facilitates communication. You only get to know the code words by asking specific questions each time you come across unfamiliar usage; maybe you'll be told to look it up, most likely you'll be ignored and occasionally somebody will let you in on the code as you go along.

I don't know a lot of them, but here are some basic acronyms I've picked up; note that the definitions are mine, and they could have the usual mistakes of the self-educated, so I'm sure more knowledgeable posters will make corrections as needed and/or add to the list:

IQ= image quality, a very broad term for several different characteristics of a particular lens
DOF= depth of field, the amount of detail in front/behind the object that is in relative focus
POV= point of view, where you take the photograph from
FOV=field of view, how much your camera "sees" with a given lens
FL=focal length, the image that a given lens "sees" from side to side, top to bottom, expressed in mm (millimeters), such as 50mm
Av=aperture priority, the camera picks the shutter speed and you set the aperture
Tv=shutter (speed) priority, the camera picks the aperture and you pick the shutter speed
WB=white balance
AWB= auto white balance
M (lens) = manual focus lens
AF=auto focus lens
SDM=Pentax's autofocusing operation using a built-in supersonic motor, see also, the older mechanical "screw drive" system
SR=shake reduction, sometimes called vibration reduction
AE=automatic exposure
AE-L=automatic exposure button
EV=exposure compensation, the general sliding scale aperture/shutter table for various environment lighting conditions
EV= the specific in-camera adjustment to change the camera light balance reading (typically called "stops" and ranging from +2 to -2, or more) with each increment up or down on the scale doubling or halving the amount of light the camera will take in for a given image
RAW (sometimes aRAW for Adobe RAW) = the basic data file that makes up every digital photograph, sometimes equated with a film negative, which has to be converted either in the camera or in a computer into a visual format like jpeg, tiff, etc
PEF= Pentax proprietary RAW format
DNG=Adobe's newest open source RAW format
PP=post processing, amending images either in the camera or with a computer program such as PS (Photoshop)
JPEG= Joint Photographic Experts Group, an industry-standard compressed digital image format
K-mount=a Pentax standardized lens mount system
K, M,A, F, FA, FA-J, DA, D-FA, DA-L = various Pentax lens types going back decades, also see Ltd. or Limited for Pentax series of "Limited" lenses
sRGB=limited color space most used by websites, and one of two color space settings in newer Pentax cameras
RGB=wider gamut color space used for printing, and one of two color space settings in newer Pentax cameras
Good luck,
Brian

Last edited by FHPhotographer; 12-15-2009 at 12:57 AM.
12-15-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Av, Tv, EV and other Vs

What does the V stand for? I can think of variation, but not sure?

Just found https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/83426-dof-ev.html stating that EV is exposure value.
Probably applies to all?

Last edited by sterretje; 12-15-2009 at 10:54 AM. Reason: fixed a typo in the tags
12-15-2009, 05:58 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for this info Brian I'm sure it will be a great help to many of us who are new or getting back into photography with a bright shiny new DSLR.
Cheers Mark
12-15-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

In photography, v means value. In aviation, it means velocity.

12-15-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Would add some books for someone new to Digital Photography

QuoteOriginally posted by FHPhotographer Quote

IQ= image quality, a very broad term for several different characteristics of a particular lens
DOF= depth of field, the amount of detail in front/behind the object that is in relative focus
POV= point of view, where you take the photograph from
FOV=field of view, how much your camera "sees" with a given lens
FL=focal length, the image that a given lens "sees" from side to side, top to bottom, expressed in mm (millimeters), such as 50mm
Av=aperture priority, the camera picks the shutter speed and you set the aperture
Tv=shutter (speed) priority, the camera picks the aperture and you pick the shutter speed
WB=white balance
AWB= auto white balance
M (lens) = manual focus lens
AF=auto focus lens
SDM=Pentax's autofocusing operation using a built-in supersonic motor, see also, the older mechanical "screw drive" system
SR=shake reduction, sometimes called vibration reduction
AE=automatic exposure
AE-L=automatic exposure button
EV=exposure compensation, the general sliding scale aperture/shutter table for various environment lighting conditions
EV= the specific in-camera adjustment to change the camera light balance reading (typically called "stops" and ranging from +2 to -2, or more) with each increment up or down on the scale doubling or halving the amount of light the camera will take in for a given image
RAW (sometimes aRAW for Adobe RAW) = the basic data file that makes up every digital photograph, sometimes equated with a film negative, which has to be converted either in the camera or in a computer into a visual format like jpeg, tiff, etc
PEF= Pentax proprietary RAW format
DNG=Adobe's newest open source RAW format
PP=post processing, amending images either in the camera or with a computer program such as PS (Photoshop)
JPEG= Joint Photographic Experts Group, an industry-standard compressed digital image format
K-mount=a Pentax standardized lens mount system
K, M,A, F, FA, FA-J, DA, D-FA, DA-L = various Pentax lens types going back decades, also see Ltd. or Limited for Pentax series of "Limited" lenses
sRGB=limited color space most used by websites, and one of two color space settings in newer Pentax cameras
RGB=wider gamut color space used for printing, and one of two color space settings in newer Pentax cameras
Good luck,
Brian
Super list...I would clairfy for the OP that:

AE-L = Auto-exposure LOCK/UNLOCK (sets the exposure until the shutter is actuated but the function can be changed using the camera's configuration settings)

For the OP, assuming you have or are planning on buying a DSLR, which btw & in case ya dunno, stands for Digital Single Lens Reflex camera). Read your camera's user manual for a list of most, if not all of the terms which apply directly to Pentax camera. If you don't have a camera yet, I recommend downloading a copy of the user manual from the Pentax site and browsing through it, a lot of the details are contained in there...it's funny because while the user manuals for the DSLR's I've owned are small, they all have contained a large amount of, usually, well explained information.

Also consider adding the "Magic Lantern Guide" for your given camera because the same information and a fair bit more is in there and written in language some prefer as in more elaboration on any given feature, setting or whatever.

Link to Magic Lantern Guides for Pentax on Amazon

Also Scott Kelby has a similar series for basic photography to given a person a nice kick-start on the road to fun with your new DSLR. There are three of them and the naming of the books might be hard to remember once you read the title it will be hard to forget:

• The Digital Photography Book, Volume 1
  • The Digital Photography Book, Volume 2
  • The Digital Photography Book, Volume 3
  • The Digital Photography Book, Boxed Set (vols. 1, 2 & 3)
hehehehe....see, they are really complicated names.... But really there is not much which is not touched on in those books. I know the first two were very useful to me after not really doing any photography for nearly 30yrs. Not only as single page refreshers on some topics but a nice synopsis type intro to other topics unique to DSLR photography. I really recommend them.

Also consider a couple of Bryan Peterson's books. I like

• Understanding Exposure,
  • Understanding Shutter Speed,
  • Beyond Portraiture: Creative People Photography,
  • Learning to See Creatively: Design, Color & Composition in Photography (Updated Edition)
All are very good for both beginners and more experienced at the hobby (or potential profession) and not over the top expensive, actually most photography books are not expensive compared to those for programming, computers or how-to books on a given program...Photoshop books as an example can be moderate to very expensive but can be invaluable resources and worth the money as long as you choose well. Something cool is often Amazon has sample chapters for download (and given the introduction of ebook reading software you can have a sample of a book, usually in color, delivered for the Kindle reader software for the PC for now and soon the Mac as well...just a nice option so you can have a "hands-on look at a book).

Google Books is another way to find, often full scans of books, where you can read almost a whole book to see how it will work for you but remember in the case of Google Books they are scans and not like regular ebooks in that it's all images not actual text which can be searched and other functions.

If ya can't tell, I feel that while nothing in these books cannot be had online somehow, owning the books is a very important part of the hobby.

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-15-2009 at 07:30 AM. Reason: speeeeling gaffs.
12-15-2009, 08:17 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wedgetail Quote
Cheers Mark
They all lie to you, the truth is

IQ : Insufficient Quantity (pixels meant here)
LBA: Lens Buying Asininity (A person who thinks having more lenses would necessarily give him better photographic talents. Obviously it is a delusional disorder which also might be an early sign of dementia.)
12-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You guys forgot on thing: KX

KX-high ISO performance..hehe
12-15-2009, 10:56 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
You guys forgot on thing: KX

KX-high ISO performance..hehe
Heh heh --

K-x = high ISO performance
KX = best fully manual body

What does ISO mean? (Wikipedia entry)

The current International Standard for measuring the speed of colour negative film is called ISO 5800:1987[1] from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Related standards ISO 6:1993[2] and ISO 2240:2003[3] define scales for speeds of black-and-white negative film and color reversal film. This system defines both an arithmetic and a logarithmic scale, combining the previously separate ASA and DIN systems. [4]
12-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Heh heh --

K-x = high ISO performance
KX = best fully manual body

What does ISO mean? (Wikipedia entry)

The current International Standard for measuring the speed of colour negative film is called ISO 5800:1987[1] from the International Organization for Standardization (ISO). Related standards ISO 6:1993[2] and ISO 2240:2003[3] define scales for speeds of black-and-white negative film and color reversal film. This system defines both an arithmetic and a logarithmic scale, combining the previously separate ASA and DIN systems. [4]
I was actually more used to ASA before.
12-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
In photography, v means value. In aviation, it means velocity.
and Vne means you are going to have a bad day if you keep the gas on and the nose down
12-15-2009, 02:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
and Vne means you are going to have a bad day if you keep the gas on and the nose down
You've got that right.
12-15-2009, 03:20 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA = lens buying addiction. avoid this one as much as possible.