Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Forum Member

long exposure noise?

Doing more tests with m42 lens. Since flash fires full power can get annoying when just testing, I decided to use a cheapy tripod and just do long exposure to get the pics I wanted.

I turned SR off, set the timer to 2 sec. press shutter. I can hear a buzz scraping sound, almost like SR is still on. The camera does take pic after the 2 sec mark with out issues.

Can someone with k-x verify that it is normal?

thanks

12-15-2009, 04:38 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you mean you hear something buzzing after mirror lock-up?

Is this buzzing heard with or without holding your ear to the camera
during the long exposure?
12-15-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I can hear a sound doing this on my K200D, too. I assume it's something having to do with the SR system, even though SR itself is turned off.
12-15-2009, 09:39 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PinarelloOnly Quote
Do you mean you hear something buzzing after mirror lock-up?

Is this buzzing heard with or without holding your ear to the camera
during the long exposure?
buzz after mirror lock up while it is being exposed. with ear holding to the camera

thanks

12-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slow2focus Quote
buzz after mirror lock up while it is being exposed. with ear holding to the camera

thanks
Normal behaviour. All of my previous cameras created a very faint scratchy electrical noise that is as Marc has described.
12-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Damn Brit

thanks
So why are you putting your ear to the camera? Behaviour like that defeats the object of using a tripod.
12-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
So why are you putting your ear to the camera? Behaviour like that defeats the object of using a tripod.
LOL, I was in my study. Got lucky that the house is actually silent for once. I was learning how to focus a manual lens, figure it would be nice to not have to hold the camera. I happen to hear sound, I thought I didn't turn SR off. So, I "test" for noise some more and since I am a worry wart... here we are.

thanks again.

btw, determine focus on manual focusing is very hard, especially stopped down on m42. Is it advisable to focuse wide open then stop down? Does stopping down changes the focus point?
12-15-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

When I usually take long exposure shots I walk away from the camera before the
shutter opens so......today after trying out both of my cameras and listening closely,
I could hear a faint buzz which I think is the actuator or drive mechanism holding up the mirror during the long exposure.

12-15-2009, 04:59 PM   #9
Damn Brit

btw, determine focus on manual focusing is very hard, especially stopped down on m42. Is it advisable to focuse wide open then stop down? Does stopping down changes the focus point?
Focus wide open and then stop down. Stopping down will change the focus point if you move the camera while stopping down so do it carefully.
12-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I find focus a lot easier when my eye, not my ear, is up agaisnt the camera :-)

Anyhow, as a generl rule, the wider the aperture, the easier it is to fcous manually. so yes, focus wide open. I find the O-ME53 viewfinder magnifier (about $40) helps, making the viewfinder image just enough larger to make a difference, albeit not a *huge* one.