Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Picture mode and Scene mode

Hi,

I have switched from Canon to Pentax. I have bought a K-x and got confused with Picture mode and Scene mode of Pentax, while Canon have only 2 groups "manual mode" and "automatic mode"

My question is why pentax have split automatic functions into 2 groups like that, not in one group such as "Auto mode" including all automatic mode of both Picture mode and scene mode?
Anything behind which I cannot see?

Thanks,

12-15-2009, 08:40 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Scene modes are types of automatic mode - they control exposure settings for you like any other automatic mode. Pictures modes are just groups of JPEG settings (contrast, sharpness, etc), and have nothing to do with exposure. A given scene mode *might* also set a picture mode, but that's the basic difference.

Basically, the standard advice is to ignore the scene modes - just setting the camera on P usually does at least as well if you're looking for full automation, and it gives you the ability to override settings that cannot be overridden in the scene modes.
12-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Forum Member

For a newb like me, another thing that is interesting is that in any of the auto modes, it greys out flash control. but, when it thinks you need flash (the flash icon blinks in view finder) it does NOT pop up flash!!

I want to say that the N* D40 does pop flash when in auto mode. But it has been a long while. I could be wrong.
12-15-2009, 10:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Your Pentax WILL pop up the flash in auto mode. You must enable that feature in the menus.
GP

12-18-2009, 08:59 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Scene modes are types of automatic mode - they control exposure settings for you like any other automatic mode. Pictures modes are just groups of JPEG settings (contrast, sharpness, etc), and have nothing to do with exposure. A given scene mode *might* also set a picture mode, but that's the basic difference.

Basically, the standard advice is to ignore the scene modes - just setting the camera on P usually does at least as well if you're looking for full automation, and it gives you the ability to override settings that cannot be overridden in the scene modes.
Thanks so much! It is definitely clear now.