Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I just found out that Adobe PhotoShop CS3 has something similar on its filters.
It's on the filters > sharpen > smart sharpen > then you can either correct gaussian blur, lens blur or motion blur..wherein you choose the angle at which to correct the motion blur.

12-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Deconvolution, you say? In Raw Therapee (freeware) you have a choice of sharpening method; the usual unsharp mask and something called RL Deconvolution. Would this be similar to/same as focus magic?
12-19-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Deconvolution, you say? In Raw Therapee (freeware) you have a choice of sharpening method; the usual unsharp mask and something called RL Deconvolution. Would this be similar to/same as focus magic?
RL Deconvolution is "Richardson-Lacy" Deconvolution most likely and is a different algorithm from FM's I think (differences between algorithms are about how to handle noise and what detailed form the out-of-focus disk assumes...eg. a gaussian disk is sometimes assumed like implied by Adobe.) Is it easy to use and successful? I vaguely recall thinking the learning curve on the Raw Therapee version might be steep.

Dave

PS A report/review of the Raw Therapee and other versions would be valuable.
12-19-2009, 07:24 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Here's an example of FM in use as a plug-in for Paint shop pro (I think it'll do the same in Adobe, ie treat a selected area):

Kari, Lisa, Steve, and Anne are each out of focus by a different amount and can be individually corrected.

Dave

12-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Here are comparisons from newarts post of the insect with PhotoShop Smart Sharpen.
I didn't overdo it and just kinda copied the resolution to newarts focus magic sample.
Attached Images

12-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by newarts Quote
RL Deconvolution is "Richardson-Lacy" Deconvolution most likely and is a different algorithm from FM's I think (differences between algorithms are about how to handle noise and what detailed form the out-of-focus disk assumes...eg. a gaussian disk is sometimes assumed like implied by Adobe.) Is it easy to use and successful? I vaguely recall thinking the learning curve on the Raw Therapee version might be steep.

Dave

PS A report/review of the Raw Therapee and other versions would be valuable.
Dave,
I did not find that RawTherapee had a steep learning curve. Most of it is pretty straightforward. Some things you play with and observe the result. There is also a printable manual on-line. I think it's quite good for free software.
WD
12-21-2009, 04:28 AM   #22
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Workingdog Quote
Dave,
I did not find that RawTherapee had a steep learning curve. Most of it is pretty straightforward. Some things you play with and observe the result. There is also a printable manual on-line. I think it's quite good for free software.
WD
I downloaded and browsed the manual. You are right. It looks easy.

Regarding RT's deconvolution, can a selection be treated or must the whole image be deconvoluted?

Dave

12-21-2009, 02:32 PM   #23
Pentaxian

I use RT v2.3 and it always works on the whole image with all operations.

Just download the latest version and have a play. It's free software.