Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 12:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
problem w/my SD card or camera? Help please!

I was messing around with my camera while my youngest two wrestled around on the bed. Went to look at pictures and half of them aren't even on the card. It's missing number 4412-4426 or something like that. And the ones I can see look like the one I posted. Also, some of teh ones that were on the card from weeks ago are distorted like that. Some of them won't open up at all in photoshop or in windows picture viewer. I get a message taht says "This document may be damaged. The file may be truncated or incomplete" and when I put the card in my camera to view them it says Camera can not view it or something similar to that. I've never had this happen before and I'm curious if anyone else has ever had it happen. Is there any way to fix it? and was it my camera or my card? I have another card I can try, but honestly I'm nervous to put it in my camera incase it was my camera that messed it up. Anyone have ideas?

12-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Beth, these are notoriously card-related issues.
Either your card is showing its age or it's of a lesser quality that leads to corrupted file storage.
If you don't have a reputable brand's card in your camera, I'd strongly suggest getting one.

In the meantime, it's unlikely you can salvage this particular image - once you've tried everything, just format the cards in camera and try shooting with them again (with less important photos )
12-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast response.

two more questions...what is a reputable brand card to get? and can you explain "format your cards in camera"?

Thanks!
12-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Beth, my favoured brands are SanDisk and Toshiba (made in Japan), mainly because I've had extensive experience with both of these brands. Neither of them have failed me yet. But I had experienced a string of failed cards (in one way or another) from fake and no-name brands after which I vowed never to trust my images with such cards again.

Your camera has, within its record menu, an item that allows you to format your card. Select this and it will 'reset' the card for use by the camera. This may fix any simple formatting issues the card may have had. This erases all memory from the card, though.

12-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
okay, good to know, thanks. Luckily, I bought a Sandisc card just a couple weeks ago. I'll stick with them.

So what's the normal "life expectancy" of a camera card? I am sure this is the one I got with my camera two years ago. Is that normal then for it to give out after 2 years? Just curious. Also, is it normal that when it does It takes out all the pictures that have been on the camera not just the ones I just took today? I was nervous when that happened that it was something with my camera that made me lose the images.

Sorry for so many questions and I really appreciate you taking the time to explain it all to me!
12-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh and meant to add this card was a PNY. A crappy brand?
12-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a variety of SD cards, PNY being one brand along with Transend and Patriot. I am wondering if your card was purchased off of evilbay? If so, its probably the seller rather than the brand, as fakes and forgeries abound there.

I have had some cards 5-6 years now. There was a special promotion a year ago in that I was able to pick up 3 - 4GB SanDisk III cards, which I have been using most of the time since. However, my wife an son have been using my other SD cards with no ill effects. That said, cards do fail, and its always good to have a spare or two (even if the cards are lower capacity 2GB or 1GB).

I ran in to some professional photographers in Alaska a few years ago and they used the smaller capacity cards. In this way if something went wrong, they did not loose everything.

There are good online places with good prices like Frys.com and newegg.com among the on line sites. B&H, etc tend to be a bit high on the expendables (like SD cards). Also there are specials all the time.

12-16-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

There are good online places with good prices like Frys.com and newegg.com among the on line sites. B&H, etc tend to be a bit high on the expendables (like SD cards). Also there are specials all the time.
Office Depot Online has the following specials running right now (probably a Sandisk Co-Op and may be available elsewhere)

4Gb SDHC = $12.99 ($29.99)
8Gb SDHC = $24.99 ($39.99)