Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Forum Member

Just Ordered a k-x from Amazon, what accessories should I get for it?

This is my first DSLR so I'm pretty excited. I'm coming from a point and shoot sony with very limited manual controls.

thanks

Barry

12-16-2009, 01:29 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'd recommend a good battery charger (Maha or LaCrosse) + a couple 4-packs of Sanyo Eneloop batteries.

If you can find one, the Pentax sling bag is also a good buy.
12-16-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Barry.
The K-x is a great little camera. You'll need a good quality SD memory card and good set of AA batteries (along with at least one lens ) to get started.
I'd suggest just getting used to it with the kit lens for now, unless you know where you're headed with your SLR photography.
Coming from P&S, though, you may as well just take your time and 'get to know' your K-x, then the 'need' for more accessories will start to become clear.
12-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
Forum Member

Since I just recently came from P&S, maybe my recommendation will be of a little more use.

You need some way of organizing/storing your gear. I bought a used hard case and also a camera bag. Between those two things I can have all my gear safely carried in two hands.

Cleaning kit! You will want one of those rocket blowers.

If you plan on using old manual M42 lenses like I do, then get the Pentax adapter. Don't bother with cheap imitations. I did, and it caused me a huge headache.

Like mentioned, a nice fast SD card.

As for a nice battery charger. I find that the charger bundled with my enloop batteries works just fine. If money is tight, then I see no reason to spend money on that.

12-16-2009, 01:40 PM   #5

For SD card you'd need a card with at least 15Mbps write speed. I'd recommend SanDisk Extreme III. This is the only card in my experience that would be able to keep up with HD movie writing on Kx. Other class 6 cards I have cut the movie on 30s or 1 min mark. With SanDisk you would be able to reach the 4GB file limit.

SanDisk Extreme III 8GB can be purchased on Amazon for about $30 shipped. Same 16gb card card would be close to $90.
12-16-2009, 02:00 PM   #6

Sandisk has rebate deal going on, if you buy the Extreme III cards.
12-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Forum Member

eneloops are great, but so are the rayovac 4.0's (rebadged rayovac hybrids) which are 8 bucks for two 4-packs AND free shipping (off of amazon)! also pick up the la-crosse bc-700 charger. i also have the 8gb sandisk extreme III card, and it is also awesome!

12-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
Forum Member

A Sandisk Ultra II does the job just as well.
12-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Second the recommendation for Sandisk Extreme III, particularly if you may be shooting raw.

The speed difference between Ultra II and Extreme III is immediately noticeable although some don't mind it.

If you wait long enough (months, perhaps) and watch the market, you'll find Extreme III with rebates that amount to more than half of the purchase price. But the best rebates give the best deal on buying three with one purchase. If you can afford three 4 GB (or 8 GB cards if you're doing video) and wait for the rebate, it's a tremendous deal.

You will need a blower and cleaning kit. I have a UV filter on all my lenses but fussy photographers sometimes feel that they detract too much from the image quality. You can find lengthy threads on that issue so we won't do it again here.

And I've invested in progressively more capable flashes, starting with a used Nikon SB-26 for $85. Works a treat. Still have it as backup to my Metz.

Have a great time!
12-16-2009, 06:45 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for all of the recommendations.
12-17-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I got a remote shutter controller when I bought my Kx. I bought the $23 Pentax version before I found out about the equally good ebay generic remotes that only cost $6. At that price, everybody should have one. On the Kx, the remote can trigger mirror lock up and bulb mode. I almost always use a remote when the camera's on a tripod.

I also bought some essentials:

Transcend class 6 16GB SD. Found out I don't need that much capacity as I don't shoot video and travel with a laptop. Today, I'd buy 4 GB and 8GB ones instead.

8 Eneloops and LaCrosse BC9009 charger - they work great. The LaCrosse has rescued some old NiMH's for me

and I bought some lenses to go with the kit 18-55:

Pentax DA 18-250 and Pentax DA 40mm, both used.
I love the flexibility in the 18-250, but if I shot a lot of telephoto, I'd go with the 50-300 kit. It's better at the long end and less expensive in the kit.

Still need a flash and will need to upgrade my PP software. I already have several tripods.

Last edited by bnorikane; 12-17-2009 at 09:06 AM.
12-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Having just done exactly what you did, here's what I purchased:
  • The Pentax Sling Bag (It's not too big, and not too small, and it's super convenient).
  • Lens Hoods for my kit lenses
  • The Pentax Remote Control F for remote shutter releases

Next on my list I think will be a lens cleaning kit, rechargeable double AA's and a Manfrotto tripod.
12-17-2009, 12:03 PM   #13

If you plan to manual focus, you might consider one of the split-prism focusing screens.

steve
12-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Third reccomend for Sandisk extreme III, and a few smaller ones rather than one huge one. That way, if something bad happens, you do not loose all your pictures.

A large polythene bag so if you are out and about and it suddenly starts raining you have somewhere dry to put the camera.

A notepad and pen so you can make notes about the pictures.
12-18-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Camera bag is a must be it a holster type if you don't have too many lenses yet, medium bag for just about 3 lenses and a regular sized bag if you plan to expand.
Whatever you choose, bag is foremost as it will protect and store your equipment.
You might later want to get a tripod.