Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 01:57 PM   #1
Forum Member

Metering with Pentax-M

I just got a Pentax-M 28mm/f3.5 lens and i Was wondering how the metering works.

I put the K-x into the manual aperture mode and i'm taking photos in Av mode and the pictures seem to come out ok, but im not expecting too much inside in the middle of the night with a f3.5.

Also tried taking pictures with flash, but the became 100% overexposed. What should i be paying attention to when metering with a M? Does the K-x know what Aperture i have set on the lens?

Thanks! Found a guide in the articles section althou i't didn't answer my questions.

12-16-2009, 02:11 PM   #2

Check out this website if the sticky at the top of this forum didn't help you:

Shooting manual lenses on Pentax DSLRs « robertsdonovan.com

I'm not 100% on this as I am learning about it myself, but I believe if you shoot in Av mode you are shooting wide-open despite what you might try to set your aperture at within the camera. Because the aperture is manually adjusted, you'll need to select it on the physical ring and adjust your camera settings to correspond with it.

Wish I could give you the answer instead of direct you to somewhere else, but I'm trying to grasp it myself before my K-x arrives next week.
12-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Cheesus :-) Seems that i did NOT read the whole article, only red the first part where he did not explain the metering.
12-16-2009, 02:55 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Another useful link More specifics for the K100D (with no green button)

Learning to use the stop down metering was a big step for me.

I'm a little bit disappointed that the aperture info is not recorded in the EXIF data, so it always says f/0.0 for me. But I don't know what I was expecting

12-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As for flash, no since the camera doens't know aperture when using the aperture ring, it does not provide flash automation. Seems it probably could have been designed to do so anyhow, but in any case, it doesn't - flash always fires full power when using the aperture ring. So you need to look up your flash's guide number and do the calculation yourslef (I'm sure Google would tell yo all you need to know about how to do this).