Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check your batteries are the right ones and fully charged.
Go through the Pentax K-x operating manual thoroughly. Refer from Page 61 onwards. If possible go to the Menu and reset the camera's settings.

12-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In that you are able to get the camera to turn on, and take a picture with out a lens, then there is some basic problem with the lens attached (essentially across both lenses you have). Also, in that the camera responds when you depress the shutter slightly, the information in the viewfinder is updated (with the lenses attached) - the batteries, sdcard, etc should be ok.

It sounds like you are in auto focus and the camera's autofocus is unable to achieve, or lock focus, thus it will prevent you from taking a picture. Check to see what focus mode you are in. If in Autofocus, is there sufficient light in the area that you are trying to take a picture in? Try taking a picture of a light bulb turned on.

If it does not take a picture in autofocus mode, switch to manual focus, and thus you will bypass the autofocus check. I am thinking that the camera will take the image.

Try again in autofocus mode of taking a picture of something that is black and white in a very well lit area.

If the camera does take the image in manual focus, and still will not take the image in autofocus, then there probably is a problem with the autofocus circuity and you should exchange the body. The camera uses contrast detection as an indication of locking focus when in autofocus.

12-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #18
Igilligan

My bad... I am high on the pot

QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
That doesn't sound right. What if you are taking an abstract image of some bokeh? How would you go about taking that picture if you want nothing in focus?
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Yeah, that doesn't sound right, unless trap-AF is enabled - but it is off by default - and actually can't be used with AF lenses w/o a AF/MF switch on the lens (although I wish it could).

This is baffling - if you have a P&S take a video!

Maybe try putting it on MF and seeing if it will snap a picture.

What happens when you go in Video or LiveView mode? If you half-press - do you hear the motor trying to focus?
My apologies as I was thinking Manual focus with trap on... you guys are quick to give the virtual spankin' and I like that
12-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Are you sure the camera is not in Manual focus mode? it will not snap a pic in MF unless you have manually focused the lens to focus confirmation.
I rember my K100D acted like this until I changed a setting in the menue.

It only did this in manual mode with either an M lens, or the kit 18-55.

I had to change a setting to get the camera to allow me to take a photo that was out of focus.

12-17-2009, 01:56 AM   #20

Original Poster
Probably a dumb question, but is the AF/MF switch turned to AF? Lens cap off?
Yes sir

maybe you're not turning the lens far enough? Is the red alignment dot on the lens directly under the center of the PENTAX logo on the camera?
Yes sir, and there is a comfortable "click"

Maybe try putting it on MF and seeing if it will snap a picture.
Tried - however still no shutter action

What happens when you go in Video or LiveView mode? If you half-press - do you hear the motor trying to focus?
When I can get it to go into Live mode (it doesn't always want to) I can hear a slight wirling. but again nothing else. I'm now wondering if the motor is knackered....

In that you are able to get the camera to turn on, and take a picture with out a lens, then there is some basic problem with the lens attached (essentially across both lenses you have). Also, in that the camera responds when you depress the shutter slightly, the information in the viewfinder is updated (with the lenses attached) - the batteries, sdcard, etc should be ok.
Agreed

It sounds like you are in auto focus and the camera's autofocus is unable to achieve, or lock focus, thus it will prevent you from taking a picture. Check to see what focus mode you are in. If in Autofocus, is there sufficient light in the area that you are trying to take a picture in? Try taking a picture of a light bulb turned on.
I'm definately in Autofocus mode (have actually tried both) Using both focus modes, I get all the info pop up in the viewfinder, however, there's no attempt at all to focus. Which prevents me from taking the picture. Even in Manual Focus mode, there's no attempt to take the shot. I've only tried indoors currently. But in a fully lit room.

I'll re-check tonight, and report back. I'll also se if I can reset the setting on the camera.

Thankyou all very much for your help and support. Very much appreciated.
12-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The camera should work straight out of the box. Mine did!
So something is - unfortunately - wrong with your sample and I recommend you to contact the seller and ask for a replacement.
12-17-2009, 03:17 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks for your advise guys. I ordered this via the internet. I think I'll have to arrange the return of the Camera

Thanks again

12-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Don't let this discourage you in any way. The second you get a working K-x it will be worth the wait!
12-17-2009, 01:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Is there a camera store nearby where you could perhaps ask one of the staff to just have a quick look at the camera with lens to see if they can get it to come to life?

Might be easier/ quicker than sending it away, especially if the problem is something simple.
12-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I does sound like you have a bad unit (body) and arranging to send it back is the right thing to do.

I would suggest that you NOT let the seller talk you into sending it to Pentax for repair. Just as for a RMA number (return merchandise authorization) so that your can return your non functioning unit and have a new replacement sent out to you. Remember to tell them Christmas is right around the corner and you purchased it for Christmas shots over the holidays. Get a tracking number for the unit you are returning and give it to the sender, asking them if they could send the replacement immediately (holidays again). They will probably wait, but no harm in asking....
12-17-2009, 09:46 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your camera will not function and auto focus unless you have sufficient charge in your batteries. Try charging them up (if you have rechargeables) or put in a set of brand new AA duracells or energizers before going through the hassle of sending the camera in for repair. It could just be that the batteries are marginal. If you are using the set that came with your camera, they are good for maybe 50 exposures, tops.
12-18-2009, 12:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I agree on rawr. Go to your local camera store and find out what's wrong. If the store is small enough, they might even be smart enough to figure it out!
And don't forget to support them in the future, as long as they have Pentax gear :P
12-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Can't add anything to this too as I'm baffled, not unless maybe I have that camera in my hand.
12-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #29
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

the question that I don't see answered is the batteries. Are you using the ones included with the kit? It's possible one is bad and the camera is not getting enough power.

Get a fresh set of Lithium batteries and try those first before returning the unit.
12-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #30

i agree with some earlier posts...if you follwed the instructions in the manual and still can't get the camera to work, it might be defective...you should contact the seller for a replacement. good luck!