Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 08:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A Question about K-7

Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and I have some questions regarding K-7 (maybe even more general) I am completely new to DSLRs. I've had decent experience with SLRs in the past and I am pretty much ready to make the dive into digital. The k-7 caught my attention bcs it seems so packed with features at such a low price. Its a steal!

My only concern is about the image stabilization. Given the fact that the sensor 'freely' moves around in the body, how prone is this system to failure. I read online one of the drawbacks of this setup is that if the IS system fails then you either have to fix it or your camera is useless (tho I couldnt even find one instance where someone had that experience - maybe its not common). Anyway just putting it out there, if someone has had such problems or has any idea as far as durability is concerned.

Also more on the side, I am particularly interested in landscape photography and maybe portraits. The lens I have in mind are the 12-24 F4 and possibly the 50mm F1.4 Tho I already have a Pentax SLR from the olds days (K1000 with 50mm F2), and from what I understand it will mount. I am okay with manual focus (thats all I have been using in the past). I guess my question is, how "worth it" is to spend the extra $300 on the 50 F1.4, as far as image quality is concerned / extra aperture flexibility.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

12-16-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome!

I have had a K10D with shake reduction since that camera came out and it has been bumped around a lot, including several trips on air planes. No problems with the shake reduction mechanism whatsoever.

The 12-24 is a great landscape lens. I really learned to appreciate it at a recent workshop in Utah. I would definitely recommend it.

On the 50mm - the focal length may not be what you really want on a DSLR, so use your M lens until you are sure that 50mm is what you need. Then you can consider the FA version. You will gain autofocus and a full stop, but you'll probably not see much improvement in image quality.
12-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum.
You'll find the K-7 a well-built tool able to withstand some tough conditions. Ole's addressed all your questions thoroughly - I can only reiterate them.
Also consider browsing through this forum's lens review database (under reviews tab) for more information and user reviews.
12-16-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As anyone who frequents this forum or dpreview's Pentax forum can tell you, I've logged more than my share of hours online, starting from before the first DSLR with SR (K100D) was announced. In the years since the introudction of the K100D, I can't recall a single post complaining about failuire of the SR system. Seriously. My guess is that is far more robust than, for example, the shutter.

12-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome!! Although I do not have a K7, I have a K100 (4 years) and K20 (~8 months) that I have taken on numerous trips - in backpack on airplanes - probably well over 100 business trips over the years. I also spent 2 week on a Navy ship at sea (not the gentleness of rides). No problems at all.

As everyone else has said, Pentax is famous for their build quality. In reading these forums, I can't remember anyone having problems with the SR or IS system. I think that its good to inquire, however it is not something to loose any sleep over.

I too have the 12-24 and it is my favorite lens. Unless you are doing a lot of low light photography, I would go with your old 50/2 at least for a while to see what you really want to do. At f1.4, your depth of field is pretty thin - unless that is what you're after. I was able to pickup an old A 50/1.7 for less than $20 and for a fast lens, that works very well....

... hope that helps.
12-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Hi guys,

I am new to this forum and I have some questions regarding K-7 (maybe even more general) I am completely new to DSLRs. I've had decent experience with SLRs in the past and I am pretty much ready to make the dive into digital. The k-7 caught my attention bcs it seems so packed with features at such a low price. Its a steal!

My only concern is about the image stabilization. Given the fact that the sensor 'freely' moves around in the body, how prone is this system to failure. I read online one of the drawbacks of this setup is that if the IS system fails then you either have to fix it or your camera is useless (tho I couldnt even find one instance where someone had that experience - maybe its not common). Anyway just putting it out there, if someone has had such problems or has any idea as far as durability is concerned.

Also more on the side, I am particularly interested in landscape photography and maybe portraits. The lens I have in mind are the 12-24 F4 and possibly the 50mm F1.4 Tho I already have a Pentax SLR from the olds days (K1000 with 50mm F2), and from what I understand it will mount. I am okay with manual focus (thats all I have been using in the past). I guess my question is, how "worth it" is to spend the extra $300 on the 50 F1.4, as far as image quality is concerned / extra aperture flexibility.

Any inputs would be highly appreciated! Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!
I managed to break my k10d hard enough to require a new top plate, but the SR never gave up. The only symptom was that the camera started up with AE-L engaged, which caused some interesting exposure errors until I figured it out.

I have the DA 12-24/4, and I love it. There are some sample shots on my Flickr site in my signature.

No comment on the 50, I've never owned a 50mm lens. 55 yes, 50 no.
12-17-2009, 01:05 AM   #7

Hi guys,

As others have said, the SR seems to be very robust. I'd keep your 50mm lens for now and consider buying something in the 35mm range instead. I love my 35mm FA, but the current DA Ltd is also a beauty and would be a great combination with the K-7.

12-17-2009, 07:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
First of all, thanks for all the replies. Like I said, I couldnt find any evidence of it either, but its always more reassuring when you confirm it with someone else.

I guess i am just going to go ahead and get it! Thanks again for all the help!
12-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi guys,
hello Oxidised,

Like you I've just come top dSLRs from the SLR age; I've done a huge amount of research since getting the K-7 and SR failure hasn't come up once.

In fact, the inbuilt SR is a real plus with the Pentax system because it means you can use it when you mount older lenses. Other systems seem to have their SR built into the lens so it only works for those lenses.
12-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi there,

Welcome and I see you've made a good choice!
Do not worry about the camera. It is robust.
We have been travelling to many places, including several safari trips where they put you in a safari vehicle and race around extremely bumpy roads.
I do not have special camera bags for my K10D, K-7 and lenses, but it all survives!

Just mind dirt and dust when changing lenses.

Happy shooting!

- Bert