Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 01:48 AM   #1

Can a beginner start with K7?

I am from India and very new to DSLR. In fact, I do not know the basics but, I am very much enthusiastic to use a DSLR. On perusal of several camera reviews, I found that K7 is fantastic and a wonderful camera. I finally decided to purchase this camera through some of my friends from USA as there is no Pentax dealer in India. It is at this stage I am totally confused with the following doubts: 1) As a beginner Can I handle K7? 2) In the absence of service center in India, Is it wise to buy a Pentax camera?

Of course, In India all other brands like Nikon and Canon are available. Unfortunately, Pentax has not yet started a dedicated sales and service counter in India. Please advice.

12-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #2
Inactive Account

hi! i'm also a beginner who got k7 as my first dslr.. my reasoning was that k7 has more accessible controls which would encourage me to experiment with different settings, as opposed to entry level models whereby many functions are buried in the menu or require you to press extra buttons. i think of it as liberating rather than intimidating..

as for your second qn, sorry can't help!
12-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #3

Hey subbarao and Welcome!!! Without a doubt the answer to your question is YES. The K-7 is a GREAT camera to begin your photographic quest. The other portion of your question--what about no service center?? That is truly unfortunate, but quite honestly, I have owned several Pentax cameras and I have NEVER had to take one in for servicing, and if I did, I would have to mail it in anyway since there is not a service center near me anyway. You would obviously have to do the same thing. So I don't see that as a problem either.
12-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, it's fine to use a K-7 as a beginner - for exactly the reasons you mention.

However, as a fellow photographer I don't think I'd recommend it if Pentax has a thin presence in India. There's the "service centre" factor in case something goes wrong, but also other factors like purchasing Pentax lenses, and other items you'll want to buy which will be a chore if you have to get them all from abroad and can't handle or see them before buying.

Added to that Pentax is a bit of a niche brand nowadays, so borrowing lenses from your friends might prove tricky as they've probably got other brands like Nikon or Canon. Those are outstanding, popular brands with a lot of lens choice that you'll be able to see near you or borrow from your friends/photo club - your call.

12-17-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Others have said it - the K-7 is an excellent tool to grow into, and designed with the ability to accommodate newbies.

Pentax has a very small presence in Australia too - hasn't stopped all the Aussies here going for Pentax gear - it just means you either buy overseas from trusted internet-based vendors like B&H, Adorama and KEH or you get to know the local retailers that can help you with Pentax and give out reasonable deals.
12-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Anybody can use any DSLR regardless if it's a Canon 1DSMK3 or a Pentax K-m, it just depends how dedicated that person is to learning photography is how long it will take for them to learn. I personally prefer the most advanced and feature-packed DSLR to start off with because it allows more experimenting and more time to learn which is what I love. Only problem is money on lenses, it wouldn't be wise to buy a Nikon D300s and only use a 18-55 kit lens because you don't want to spend any money on a more expensive lens, it really limits the camera's purpose for beautiful IQ which the D300s is meant for.
12-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The K-7 does not have "scene modes". These are modes where you tell the camera what type of photo you're taking. The camera makes adjustments on its own that should work for that type of photo. With just a little bit of knowledge and experience, you can figure that out yourself. (The camera does have a completely automatic Program mode, plenty to get you some shots right away.)

The other difference between the K-7 and a more beginner-oriented camera is that the K-7 might have an overwhelming number of features and settings. Probably you won't know what a lot of them do, at first. Both these differences mean that you'll need to learn stuff to make the K-7 worthwhile. The advantage is, after a few months you won't read about selectable focus points or something and discover that feature isn't on your camera.
12-17-2009, 05:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Anyone can shoot k7. It is a hobby

12-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Read the manual for the K-7 cover to cover - more than once and buy the book Understanding Photography Field Guide by Bryan Peterson. Understanding Exposure by the same author is also a good read. With these books as reference, camera manual included, anyone can learn to use any camera. You'll find you'll grow into this camera rather than growing out of a beginner model.
12-17-2009, 05:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Anyone can shoot k7.
Are you using your K-7 as a target for skeet shooting?
12-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by subbarao Quote
I am from India and very new to DSLR. In fact, I do not know the basics but, I am very much enthusiastic to use a DSLR. On perusal of several camera reviews, I found that K7 is fantastic and a wonderful camera. I finally decided to purchase this camera through some of my friends from USA as there is no Pentax dealer in India. It is at this stage I am totally confused with the following doubts: 1) As a beginner Can I handle K7? 2) In the absence of service center in India, Is it wise to buy a Pentax camera?

Of course, In India all other brands like Nikon and Canon are available. Unfortunately, Pentax has not yet started a dedicated sales and service counter in India. Please advice.
Of course you can operate the camera. Nearly all the controls have a green setting. There is a green square on the mode dial, a green setting on the focus selector, a green setting on the meter selector, a green setting on the AF/MF switch and a green button to reset if you have tried a modification of the settings. Don't let all the buttons, knobs and dials turn you off. Charge up the battery, set everything to the green marks and take pictures. It's easy.

Of course, taking really good pictures takes some practice and learning, but in the meantime, you can take pictures and see how they turn out. That is exactly how the rest of us learn to use our cameras. I've been taking pictures and trying to improve for nearly 49 years now, and I am still learning.
12-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
Pentaxian

As to the first question, yes. The K7 will give you very good results in auto mode. As for the question of a service center, they must have a distributer in India and some arrangement for warranty and repairs. The store that sells it should have some information or you could email Pentax customer service dept. and ask them. I have had no problems with any of my Pentax cameras but things do break and nothing is perfect so I understand your concern. I would not want to purchase something I couldn't get fixed if something broke.
12-19-2009, 07:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If you can't buy it locally, don't buy it. You will probably have great difficulty finding accessories (e.g. a flash) and additional lenses if the needs arises, even 3rd party (metz, sigma, tamron, ...) So if everything must come from overseas, it will take time and will have additional costs. The same for warranty repairs.

Just my thoughts.
12-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks to all of you. I read all the suggestions and finally decided to purchase Nikon D90 in the absence of Pentax's marketing and sales & service division in India.