Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 08:19 AM   #1

Rear curtain sync

I use a K7 with a Metz 48 AF-1 flash and I've been recently trying to take some photos with rear curtain sync, you know when you have a long shutter speed, for instance 1 sec, and want the flash to fire at the end of the exposure.

I don't know what I am doing wrong but I set the K7 to "Trailing Curtain Sync" and shoot in Manual mode, but the flash always fire at the beginning of the exposure just like it would when set to normal flash mode.

Ive searched the forum but couldn't find the answer to my problem.

12-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Try this thread i started a few days ago: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/83040-just-got-...-question.html

There is a really good link posted by iSteve that explains it in-depth.
12-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maconmatt Quote
Try this thread i started a few days ago: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/83040-just-got-...-question.html

There is a really good link posted by iSteve that explains it in-depth.
Thanks for the link. To be honest, I don't quite get what I am doing wrong and that chart almost got me even more confused, but i will read it again and try to wrap my head around it.
12-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #4
Forum Member

Yeah, i don't understand it 100% myself yet. I'm still trying to take it all in. THe first chart posted in that link is outdated, use this set of charts/info:

Flash Modes for Pentax Photo Gallery by Steve Jacob at pbase.com

12-17-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You should actually see the flash fire TWICE in rear curtain sync (using P-TTL and a slow shutter speed) The first flash is actually the pre-flash right before the shutter opens. The second flash is the actual flash right before the shutter closes.
12-17-2009, 12:49 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
You should actually see the flash fire TWICE in rear curtain sync (using P-TTL and a slow shutter speed) The first flash is actually the pre-flash right before the shutter opens. The second flash is the actual flash right before the shutter closes.
Yeah so I've heard, but I can't get it to do that. I've been reading a lot on this subject but I still have no idea how to make it work.

All i get is a flash at the beginning of the exposure.
12-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The setting on the flash overrides the setting on the camera. So if the flash is not set to rear curtain sync, that's your problem.
12-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, set the FLASH to rear on the flash, not the camera.

12-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Yeah, set the FLASH to rear on the flash, not the camera.
I also struggled with this and found the final piece of the puzzle.
To switch the Metz 48 to Rear curtain mode - you have to press the two select buttons on the Mext rear panel at same time - doing this 2/3 times leads to several options and one is REAR ON/OFF
The ON or OFF is then changed by toggling one select button.
I think once set this persist even after the flash is turned off.