Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2009, 05:30 PM   #16
Pentaxian

You can use a K mount lens on a Canon body after you remove the control levers and saw off the protective flange.
An adapter is required. I don't know if they exist or if you will have to have one made by a machinist.
I suspect it would be easier to use a screw mount lens on a Canon.
The real question is, why would you want to?
Canon makes lenses (after a fashion), or at least they did the last time I checked, and they are designed to work with their cameras.

12-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nathandajet Quote
So let me get it straight.
Lens that are the same brand will be able to use AF but if you cross over it's all Manuel?
No, it has to have the same mount size. For example if I remembered correctly, the Pentax K-mount is smaller than the ones used on most Nikon DSLR assuming most Nikon DSLR's use the same mount as the D5000.

Every DSLR brand has different mounts, Sony, Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, etc. They all have different sizes and different contacts, therefore none of these brands share the same fit.

From third party lens-makers such as Tamron and Sigma, they make the same lenses for every brand, but every brand they make it for has different mounts. So you can't buy a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on Canon mount and expect it to fit and work on a Pentax DSLR because the mount is different.

Since you have the 7D, you can only use lenses that fit the mount your Canon DSLR use. Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin is the largest Canon forum. I suggest you get some advice from them there.
12-19-2009, 07:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

So, you bought a $1700.00 Canon, and you want to use a $50.00 Pentax kit lens on it?

The problem you have, if you really want to use that lens, is you have bought the wrong camera.

Take it back, and get a K-7.
12-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Canon 7D is a wonderful camera, and at $1,700 it should be. However, all camera manufacturers have their own lens mounting systems that differ greatly. They are both mechanically and electrically different.

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

Pentax has used their K mount system since 1975 and the M42 prior to that. So there are about 50 to 60 years worth of lenses that are able to be used on Pentax bodies either directly, or with a M42 to K mount flange that Pentax sells. Also, Pentax has made some of the world's best lenses (and all manufacturer's have their dogs and cats). In particular Pentax is know for their prime lenses.

sm-02-05-02

Now, other manufactures build good lenses too, however they put auto focus motors in some and image stabilization in others. So that on some bodies some lenses are fully functional and others are not to various degrees.

Another item is that Pentax places the image stabilization in the body, so that you can take your 50 year old manual lens, that your dad used or bought off of evil bay and use it and it is instantly stabilized, rather than just some lenses than Canon wants to build. For instance, there are really no wide angle stabilized lenses that Canon offers. However, put a current or 40 year old lens on a brand new K7 body (or K20, K10, KX, KM, K2000, K200 or K100) and you have instant image stabilization.

The Pentax k7 has HD movies with stereo sound and Shake Reduction also stabilizes your movies.

The K7 is about $1,100 and then you can use the difference on some wonderful Pentax Limited glass...

However if you are bound and determined to use Pentax glass on a Canon body, here is what you need to know - just as Wheatfield pointed out... Results are not warranted and your mileage may vary....

http://www.jcolwell.ca/photography/calc-info/Keos-adapter.pdf
http://www.goshotcamera.com/product/LAD003EOSPKCONFIRM?meta=FRG
http://shashinki.com/shop/shashinki-pentax-mount-lens-canon-camera-body-conv...l?currency=USD

http://oomz.net/kadapter/
http://www.beststuff.com/forum/read.php?12,3236,3344

.... but just be aware, its not your 7D body making the movies look great, its the Pentax glass collecting and focusing the light.

Last edited by interested_observer; 12-19-2009 at 09:27 AM.
12-19-2009, 12:54 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Generally, yes - if it works at all, which often it won't. there are third parties like Sigma and Tamron who make lenses *for* Canon as well as for Pentax and others, so if the lens says it is for Canon, it will work with canon even if not made by Canon. But if it' *for* Pentax, it's not worth the effort of trying to figure out if there is a way to somehow get it to work. There are enough lenses meant to work on Canon that you shouldn't need to go to that much trouble unless you're looking for someone really special purpose. There would be no reason to get an easily available general purpose lenses like an 18-55 for Pentax and then cripple it by trying to use it on the Canon.

If you *do* happen to come upon some special reaosn to need to find an M42 lens, though, instead of one meant for Canon, the description of the lens will say either "m42" or "screwmount" or both.
12-21-2009, 02:16 AM   #21
Veteran Member

How would you know it has a m42 fitting?
M42 lens mount - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

QuoteQuote:
The M42 lens mount is a screw thread mounting standard for attaching lenses to 35 mm cameras, primarily single-lens reflex models. It is more accurately known as the M42 1 mm standard, which means that it is a metric screw thread of 42 mm diameter and 1 mm thread pitch. It was first used in Zeiss' Contax S of 1949; this East German branch of Zeiss also sold cameras under the Pentacon name; after merger with other East German photographic manufacturers, the name Praktica was used. M42 thread mount cameras first became well-known in Japan under the Praktica brand, and thus the M42 mount is known as the Praktica thread mount there. Since there were no proprietary elements to the M42 mount, many other manufacturers used it; this has led to it being called the Universal thread mount or Universal screw mount by many. The M42 mount was popularized in the United States by Pentax; thus, it is also known as the Pentax thread mount, despite the fact that Pentax did not originate it.
Thank you
Russell
12-21-2009, 02:44 AM   #22
Damn Brit

Am I the only one smelling troll? I'm not sure who's been more entertained, me or Nathanjet.
12-21-2009, 02:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Am I the only one smelling troll? I'm not sure who's been more entertained, me or Nathanjet.
I've met people like this in person, so I'm not sure.

Thank you
Russell

12-21-2009, 05:03 AM   #24
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I've met people like this in person, so I'm not sure.

Thank you
Russell
We can only work with the evidence we have before us.

Someone buys a $1700 (or however much) dollar Canon DSLR (their first DSLR), then looks at a $150ish lens meant for another brand that won't work without an adapter and then says he's going to use it to shoot video. Even if we believe all that, what happened to the Canon kit lens? Is someone using it to shoot video on a K-x?

OP, give me your D7 and I'll buy you a brand new $200 dollar Flip that you can shoot video on and not have to worry about lens selection or compatibility.
12-21-2009, 05:20 AM   #25
Veteran Member

It does ssem a bit strange that you would want to put on a kit lens after buying such an expensive camera and not even thinking of getting the package (i.e. complete with kitlens), but for a beginner it might not be that easy to understand that brand lenses don't mix. It's like saying that a Verbatim CD and a Traxdata CD are not compatible which they are since all CD's are pretty much the same. DVD's on old DVD burners however... +/-
But yes, a bit trolly.
In any case, I hope Nathanjet has learned from the forum replies and doesn't feel unwelcome here!
12-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #26
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by StarDust Quote
In any case, I hope Nathanjet has learned from the forum replies and doesn't feel unwelcome here!
Well, if he isn't a troll, then he should appreciate that I'm just making an effort to keep the forum free of trolls. Nothing I've said has been untoward.

If he is a troll, he knows he's being watched.
12-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Well, if he isn't a troll, then he should appreciate that I'm just making an effort to keep the forum free of trolls. Nothing I've said has been untoward.

If he is a troll, he knows he's being watched.
So you're trolling for trolls?

Thank you
Russell
12-21-2009, 02:34 PM   #28
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
So you're Pa-trolling for trolls?

Thank you
Russell
Fixed it for ya.
12-22-2009, 06:19 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Just buy a Canon 18-55 IS for ~$100. Pretty decent lens. How did you find your way to a Pentax forum? There ARE forums for Canon cameras
12-22-2009, 06:40 AM   #30
Veteran Member

It's my first Camera.YES.
But I'm mostly going to use it for Video.
Here's a wild idea, really from left field, try strapping a Canon lens to the thing, that outta solve your problems.

The kit lens is cheap as chips.