Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

How to tell if SR is working?

Hi,

Yet another noob question from me...

I have been trying to grasp the IS/VR/SR thing. I know it is up to 4 stops. With VR/IS, you can see the motion dampning in the VF, but with SR you can't. Other than the hand in the VF, how you know if it is working?

By my understanding, 4 stops means say 35mm prime, ideal is 1/35*1.5 ~= 1/53 for non stabilized speed. So, 4 stops is minimum of 1/3 sec right?

I am asking because I get pretty much the same picture with SR on or off. Sometimes, I get better (sharper) pics with SR off than on.

Since I don't get consistently sharp pics, I can't tell if SR is working or not even though I see the hand.

Btw, when half press shutter and the hand shows up, I don't hear any sound from camera like minute adjustments.

thanks

12-19-2009, 12:11 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One of the best all time tests was done with sitting on a ride around lawnmower...

Jannemans Dynamic SR test : Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Another way to do it is to use a long lens say 300mm and target something across the room or out the window and across the street (SR on & off). For demonstration purposes longer focal lengths work better. It is similar to holding a piece of wood still. The longer the length of wood, the more difficult it is to hold it still. Thus the results would be more noticeable with 300mm rather than 50mm.

You can also demonstrate it in low light situations at say ISO 100, where it would be more stable at the slower shutter speeds.
12-19-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by slow2focus Quote
Other than the hand in the VF, how you know if it is working?
You can always check the EXIF of the picture after it is taken if you really need more proof - the software that came with the camera will tell you is SR was active or not.

QuoteQuote:
By my understanding, 4 stops means say 35mm prime, ideal is 1/35*1.5 ~= 1/53 for non stabilized speed. So, 4 stops is minimum of 1/3 sec right?
I don't think anyone who knows would really claims it's good for 4 stops of improvement. Maybe 2. At shutter speeds as slow as 1/3", the pictures will probably suck with or without SR, unless you happen to get lucky on a shot or two. That does happen, as the recent 1-in-a-million shot at 5 seconds demonstrates. Yes, that was on Canon, but it doesn't matter - it's equally rare either on any system.

QuoteQuote:
Btw, when half press shutter and the hand shows up, I don't hear any sound from camera like minute adjustments.
You wouldn't expect to. You can hear it *during* the exposure for exposures long enough to differentiate it from the mirror slap, but you don't hear it working most of the time.
12-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shake reduction isn't a cure all and while you can get a couple of stops most of the time, it may not save the shot every time. If you know you will be using slower shutter speeds, bring a tripod or monopod. I have had usable shots as slow as 1/4 second but those are rare. I took several and got lucky with a couple. I have also had some shaky shots at 1/60. Also, at slow shutter speeds there is always motion blur to contend with, like taking landscape shots on a breezy day. The rule of keeping the camera as steady as possible still applies, even with SR. There could be lots of reasons why your photos aren't as sharp as you would like besides the SR not doing its job.

12-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
Inactive Account

The other thing to consider is the direction of the shake. It can correct for vertical and horizontal shake, but doesn't work if you are moving the camera in a rotating manner.
12-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I apologies for not being clear as to why I am asking this question. The main point is, that my 30 days return is about to run out. I did the best I could to use the camera in the situation I normally will use a camera. Try to get use to things that bugs me...etc I am fine with the enloop takeing 669 photos before "depleted". I believe that I can live with this camera for a while as I learn more on how to take pictures. I just need to make sure all mechanical stuff is working so I don't have to deal with warranty vs store exchange. All aspect of the camera seems to working fine to the best of my knowledge (with the help of you all here). But, I just don't have concrete evidence that SR is function as indicated. I just want to make sure all is fine before the 30 days.

thanks.

-jack
12-19-2009, 03:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slow2focus Quote
I am fine with the enloop takeing 669 photos before "depleted".
That's all you get?
12-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
That's all you get?
Yes. Just happend like 2 hrs ago. Took a flash shot of my kid. The message came up and camera shut down. This is with 1.01

12-20-2009, 04:16 AM   #9
Damn Brit

Take a picture of something with SR off, change the shutter speed until it is slow enough that the picture is blurred. When you reach that point, turn SR on and take the picture again, if it isn't blurred, SR is working.
12-20-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
That's all you get?
That's what i would normally expect with my k200d as wel, if not even less. And i always have to do some discharge, before i can charge the batteries (meaning that the camera refuses to use them before they are completely empty).

If you just want to feel, that it works, remove the lens, turn on your camera, input a focal length of 500mm, set exposure time to 1 second or some other perceivable time and fire away. You should feel the camera vibrating quite violently.

Then i had plastic 500mm lens next to my cam, at 1/5 the lens were going like "DRRRRil".

If you want to see that it really compensates for shake, try the advices given by previous posters.
12-20-2009, 11:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Yeah, 500-600 shots is probably typical for most DSLR's.
12-20-2009, 11:35 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Take a picture of something with SR off, change the shutter speed until it is slow enough that the picture is blurred. When you reach that point, turn SR on and take the picture again, if it isn't blurred, SR is working.
oh, sure offer a real answer that works in the real world...what the heck is wrong with you? You need more book learnin' sonny boy!!
12-21-2009, 12:24 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You can't see SR working through the viewfinder, but, if you have a K20D/K-7/K-x, you could use Live View to see its effect.

- Jason
12-21-2009, 04:53 AM   #14
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
oh, sure offer a real answer that works in the real world...what the heck is wrong with you? You need more book learnin' sonny boy!!
It says in the bible that SR works.

It works because it's falls under the jurisdiction of Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

When Newton woke up after getting hit on the head with an apple he said "Shake Reduction works as long as gravity is present".

It worked on captain Nemo's Nautilus, why shouldn't it work on a Pentax camera?

Any of those bookish enough for ya?
12-21-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It says in the bible that SR works.

It works because it's falls under the jurisdiction of Einstein's Theory of Relativity.

When Newton woke up after getting hit on the head with an apple he said "Shake Reduction works as long as gravity is present".

It worked on captain Nemo's Nautilus, why shouldn't it work on a Pentax camera?

Any of those bookish enough for ya?
All reasonable sources, mostly...but I do believe it was actually an Elvis song that proved SR just works, yes? BTW, Elvis is alive, you know that right?

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-21-2009 at 10:00 PM.