Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can I shoot in cold weather with a K-X?

Hi,

I just bought my wife a k-x(white) for Christmas and we live in Maine. Can she safely shoot with the K-X in cold weather (20 F)?
I will be doing an "arctic plunge" on New Years Day at the local beach and it would make a great op but I don't want her to trash her new baby in the first week.
She is new to the digi world and you will all meet her soon when she opens her new baby and starts an account here!!
Thanks in advance for this question and any other helpful hints for someone coming over to DSLR from the film (35 and med format) world!!

12-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although it's not specifically weather sealed or guaranteed for any particular conditions, I've had no problems with other non-sealed Pentax DSLR's in those kind of temperatures.
12-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I had a non weather-sealed Nikon D70 in temperatures as low as -40 and it worked fine. I just stuffed it in my jacket from time to time to keep it from freezing up.

Be sure to post photos of the "Arctic Plunge." Sounds fun, in a masochistic kind of way!
12-20-2009, 01:09 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Batteries

I have read a few reports of the K-x battery life being very short in cold weather. But this is with NiMh batteries that have their capacity reduced at lower temperatures. From what I have heard the answer may be to use one shot lithiums for cold temperature shooting.

12-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #5

I think the minimum operating temperature for the K-x is 32F...that being said, you might still be able to shoot in colder temperatures, but I wouldn't leave it out for too long...
12-21-2009, 01:52 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I had no issues shooting with my K-m in -10 Celsius for 2 hours on last week.
Just use fresh batteries and have a spare battery kit in your pockets to keep them warm.
12-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I just took my K-x to 15 degree weather (for multiple hours) and it responded great! No issues at all other than the fact that I was freezing. Check out my album if you want to see the proof

Enjoy

12-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brandt Quote
I just took my K-x to 15 degree weather (for multiple hours) and it responded great! No issues at all other than the fact that I was freezing. Check out my album if you want to see the proof

Enjoy
how would I access your album?
12-21-2009, 08:51 PM   #9
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
how would I access your album?
To the left, at user pane, there's a "Photos:Albums", click albums
12-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just got back from a trip to Yellowstone in late October:

Yellowstone 2009 - professor77's Photos

I had my K100d, and temps ranged from 7F to 30F for the first three days (morning lows to afternoon highs).

In the extreme cold I had to switch to alkaline batteries, the lithium AA's didn't work for more than a shot or two. Once it warmed up into the 40's at the end of the trip the lithiums knocked out photos like nobodies business (still show a full charge).

So... the only issue for me was the cold eating my lithium batteries ability to discharge effectively - camera was flawless.