Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Which custom image to use?

I see it's at default "Bright Setting" Which setting would be best used for all around shooting? There are, Natural, Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant, and Muted. Thanks

This is for the K-x

12-20-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
joodie, I haven't worked with the Kx, but the following holds for the various newer bodies, including the K20, so I'm guessing it applies to the Kx. And the answer is... it depends.

If you are using RAW or sticking with jpeg. Keep in mind that all the in-camera settings only effect jpeg (both the image you see on the camera LCD and the one you see on the computer), but none of that shows up in the RAW data file. If you stick with jpeg what you see in-camera is what you get (sort of) when you download the file. The Portrait, Landscape, Vibrant and Muted are basically subsets of the two main modes of Bright and Natural, and change in relation to those two modes. For web posting the "Bright" probably works best; for printing I'd start with the Natural that gives a less "adjusted" image but more latitude in post processing. Also, can't hurt to line up your camera capture mode to sRGB (instead of RGB) that fits if you plan to use the images on the web. Good luck,
Brian
12-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hi Joodie - welcome to the forum.

I have the K20 and tend to leave it in "bright", but I do shoot RAW so it doesn't matter too much as I correct it when post processing.
12-20-2009, 08:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
well guys, it's me boodiespost. I changed the name as it doesn't sound right with the "B" there. It has always been a nickname and has nothing to do with booty but it seems people take it in the wrong way so I changed ^^ Thanks for the help though. I was confused since I didn't want the camera cpu to do any kind of adjustments for me. I'll try the natural setting and see how things go.

12-21-2009, 10:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
the only possible answer is to try them out to see for yourself. There likely won't be one setting that you like better in all settings, but only you can decide which you like better when and which you think makes the best compromise if you don't want to change. If there was one answer that worked the same for everyone, they wouldn't bother giving you option.
12-23-2009, 10:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
true. as I am still learning to see the right color tone, I'm wondering what setting you usually use Marc. I much as I know your knowledge and skill in photography, if it works for you, it'll probably work for me By the way, does this setting matter in raw?
12-24-2009, 08:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by joodiespost Quote
true. as I am still learning to see the right color tone, I'm wondering what setting you usually use Marc. I much as I know your knowledge and skill in photography, if it works for you, it'll probably work for me By the way, does this setting matter in raw?
It doesn't matter in RAW, and that's what I shoot. When I shot JPEG, I liked Natural better for some things, Bright for others, but mostly, it just doesn't matter. You're generally better off sending your time and effort learning the *important* stuff like exposure (ISO, aperture, and shutter speed) and just not worrying about image settings.

12-28-2009, 12:55 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Custom Image Settings

Dear Joodiespost, I am a K20D user and I found this setting as a general best:-
Bright: Saturation +1, Hue 0, Contrast +2, Sharpness +3 Fine.
A lot too depends on other settings like ISO, White Balance etc.
If you shoot people a lot then do play with the Hue for the races of mankind; say use
Hue +1 for dark skinned people.
I like my photos tack sharp, and hence Sharpness is +3 fine. But remember sharpness is mostly a function of increased contrast at the pixel level. Also I would reduce it to +2 for high ISO shots say above 800 to avoid pixellation / noise.
Happy shooting friend.
Nanhi
12-28-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the info ^^ Could you explain what the difference between +3 at fine and just +3?