Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 08:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
using these manual lenses on my kx

i tried the 50mm lens on my kx yesterday but it wouldn't take pictures. some 101 would be great.

i moved the switch on the side of the camera to mf and thought that was all i had to do. but to no avail. i guess there is a setting i need to change on the display screen?

also what mode do i have to shoot with for these lenses to work?

12-21-2009, 08:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

in the custom settings menu you have to change to 'allow aperture ring'. In the case of M lenses (which don't have an A setting), you need to use manual mode. You choose the aperture with the aperture ring, and can achieve proper exposure by pressing the green button (you will hear the camera stop down, and the shutter speed will be set to a proper exposure).

With the A 50mm f1.4 you have, the lens aperture can be set to the A setting and it will fully function in all modes, only requiring manual focus of course!

Once setting the aperture ring to be permitted in the custom menu, there is no reason to set it back, FYI. Also, with the M lens you will see F--- on the rear LCD or in the viewfinder - this is because the camera doesn't know the aperture (again because you need to set the aperture on the lens itself using the aperture ring).
12-21-2009, 08:32 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
slow down......

it took me an hour to put the batteries in. lets focus on the f1.4 ........what is the A setting and what is an aperture ring? is that the dial that i was looking at on lens itself and will i still have to go to the custom setting?
12-21-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
in the custom settings menu you have to change to 'allow aperture ring'. In the case of M lenses (which don't have an A setting), you need to use manual mode. You choose the aperture with the aperture ring, and can achieve proper exposure by pressing the green button (you will hear the camera stop down, and the shutter speed will be set to a proper exposure).

With the A 50mm f1.4 you have, the lens aperture can be set to the A setting and it will fully function in all modes, only requiring manual focus of course!

Once setting the aperture ring to be permitted in the custom menu, there is no reason to set it back, FYI. Also, with the M lens you will see F--- on the rear LCD or in the viewfinder - this is because the camera doesn't know the aperture (again because you need to set the aperture on the lens itself using the aperture ring).
Yes. This should solve your issue. Look for "aperture ring permission" in the camera's manual for other details.

And have loads of fun with the f1.4!

12-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deiberson Quote
slow down......

it took me an hour to put the batteries in. lets focus on the f1.4 ........what is the A setting and what is an aperture ring? is that the dial that i was looking at on lens itself and will i still have to go to the custom setting?
haha, yes that would be the ring on the lens itself - the one with the numbers! If you look at the numbers on the dial, there is an A at one end of them (after the largest number) - set it to the A, and don't worry about anything else I said (except enabling the aperture ring in the customer settings). If this is all new to you, I would suggest not even bothering with that F2 M lens at the moment, use the 50mm Pentax A F1.4 and your kit lens to get acquainted with the auto features first.

Edit: the A setting on the 50mm F1.4 stands for Auto - in this case auto aperture - so that the camera tells the lens which aperture to select (the aperture values being all the other numbers on the lens ring).

If you don't know what the aperture of a camera lens is, you've got some basic photography studying ahead of you! (that is, assuming you want to know how your camera actually works...then you'll be able to take full advantage of those manual lenses you have). If not (which is fine) I don't think you should ever bother touching that 50mm F2 Pentax-M lens, as the 50mm Pentax A F1.4 is a better lens all around, and has the auto aperture as I discussed above, mean all you have to do (at a minimum) is focus the lens.
12-21-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i know the basics....i know (from reading only) that the aperture number determines how open the circle in my lens is. the lower the number, the more open it becomes and the higher the number the smaller the hole becomes, i think. i also read that for shooting in aperture mode if i use a small number, that i will get the foreground in focus and the backgorund a little blurred. a higher number would get everything in focus. does this sound right?

so when i put this lens on (f1.4), what mode do i shoot in and will the other settings such as iso and shutterspeed automatically be determined?

all i want to do is be able to blur the background and/or get everything in focus when ever i want to and know how i did it. any help is appreciated. i still have to by a book and read a little but i haven't gotten to the store yet.
12-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you did not get a manual booklet with your K-x, you should be able to download a copy at the official Pentax site. Manuals and Literature - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site
Sounds like you have a bit of reading so you can get greater benefits and usage from your new camera.

12-21-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i know the basics....i know (from reading only) that the aperture number determines how open the circle in my lens is. the lower the number, the more open it becomes and the higher the number the smaller the hole becomes, i think. i also read that for shooting in aperture mode if i use a small number, that i will get the foreground in focus and the backgorund a little blurred. a higher number would get everything in focus. does this sound right?

so when i put this lens on (f1.4), what mode do i shoot in and will the other settings such as iso and shutterspeed automatically be determined?

all i want to do is be able to blur the background and/or get everything in focus when ever i want to and know how i did it. any help is appreciated. i still have to by a book and read a little but i haven't gotten to the store yet.
a little blurred is kind of a relative statement! At F1.4, relatively close focus you would be talking about an in-focus area around 1/4" (on a vertical plane from the camera lens). In most cases, you wouldn't want to use a lens wide open like that. Around F8 is generally a good spot to get most of photo in focus, and is generally the best combination of in-focus area for most lenses.

At this point set the lens to the A setting, and put your camera in P mode while you take the time to read the manual - some other books on photography may also grow your understanding of your camera, photographic elements, camera exposure settings (aperture, shutter speed and ISO) and how they all work together to achieve different results. Some others can chime in with recommendations, I've read a few but can't remember the book names off the top of my head!
12-21-2009, 10:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
See the sticky thread on this very forum for more complete instruction on using manual lenses. Note that with your "A" lens, you should leave the aperture ring permanently in the "A" position, and then you can pretty much treat with like a "regular" lens, with none of the extra stuff required to use "M" lenses. That A50/1.4 is the *much* better lens, anyhow - the M50/2 is not worth bothering with in comparison.
12-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
See the sticky thread on this very forum for more complete instruction on using manual lenses.
you mean the one with the 5 star rating posted at the top of the forum with detailed pictures answering half of the questions that i asked in the first 2 responses including but not limited to "what is an aperture ring"?
12-21-2009, 04:13 PM   #11

Thats the one as a new comer my self i found the info invaluable
12-21-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Just set the lens to "A" and you will be able to control the aperture via the camera and you do not even need to fiddle with the lens except for the focusing.
With the "M" lenses (like your M 1:2), you have to set the aperture on the lens itself and focus too!
12-22-2009, 08:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
wow. what a difference in sharpness with that f1:1.4 from using the 18-55 lens kit.

that's the look i've been trying to get. a few questions then if you don't mind.

i'm trying to multi task at work....(play with camera and deal with kids) i'm a teacher and i'm doing this when the kids are completing seat work. so i've been just taking head shots of them working from close range without a flash and in low light. the head is super clean with the rest of the background blurred out. exactly what i was trying to do. but what will i have to do when i want to keep the entire shot in focus with this lens and with these settings? i want to feel comfortable in this mode before grappling with something else.

i'm using that f1:1.4 lens, turned the aperture ring to "A", went to custom settings and did this (tell me if i'm correct):
1. selected "c" from the top tab on the far right
2. scrolled over to "4"
3. chose "22. using aperture ring"
4. selected "permitted"

the reason i wonder about these settings is becasue the lens worked fine without me having to change the permitted option.
thanks in advance.
kevin
12-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
but what will i have to do when i want to keep the entire shot in focus
I suggest you read oup on the basics of exposure: aperture, shutter speed, and iso. Google those terms together, and you should find plenty of references that will give the answer to this and all other similar questions. Many people recommend the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson, but really, any basic bookon photography should explain this.

The short answer here is, to get more depth of field (the term for how much is in focus) you need a smaller aperture (which means a larger f-number). In Av mode, you'd turn the wheel until the aperture reads at least f/8. chances are you'll never get the *whole* room in focus.

QuoteQuote:
i'm using that f1:1.4 lens, turned the aperture ring to "A", went to custom settings and did this (tell me if i'm correct):
If you're lens has an "A" position, leave it there and never move it. And in that case, the custom option you mention has no effect. It's not harmful, and you might as well set it now so you'll be ready it in the event you also use a manual lens "without* an "A" position. But that's the time time you need that option set to allow you to take pictures using lenses with aperture rings that are *not* set in the "A" position.
12-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the short answer is what i was looking for. the reason i asked was becasue i know the aperature had to be raised towards f8, but with being in P mode and having set the aperture ring to A, the f number was automatic. so you're saying for those shots where i want control of the dof, go with the AV setting.
thanks marc.